LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to hide extra button in NXG Style path controls?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

Here's what I hope is a dumb and simple question. I'm starting a new project and using NXG Style controls for the first time, and am struggling with these dumb little "Valid Path"/"Not a Path" buttons on the path control and indicator (see image below). I don't see an option to enable/disable them in the properties dialog box or anywhere else.

How do you hide these buttons?

NXG Style Paths.png

It looks like, by customizing the control, I can make the box tiny and hide it under the text field, but is that really THE way to do it?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,629 Views)

Curiously, you can make it any color you want (left) (FG/BG) but if you pick transparent (right), it shows again. :(.

altenbach_0-1585074261688.png

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,620 Views)

@MegaHertz wrote:

Hi all,

Here's what I hope is a dumb and simple question. I'm starting a new project and using NXG Style controls for the first time, and am struggling with these dumb little "Valid Path"/"Not a Path" buttons on the path control and indicator (see image below). I don't see an option to enable/disable them in the properties dialog box or anywehre else.

How do you hide these buttons?

NXG Style Paths.png

It looks like, by customizing the control, I can make the box tiny and hide it under the text field, but is that really THE way to do it?

There is another way, but it's no better: When customizing, color it transparent (there are actually 2 pieces to it, color them both transparent).

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,610 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

There is another way, but it's no better: When customizing, color it transparent (there are actually 2 pieces to it, color them both transparent).

As altenbach already pointed out (and I neglected to note in my original post), those buttons don't respond to being set to transparent.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,563 Views)

@MegaHertz wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

As altenbach already pointed out (and I neglected to note in my original post), those buttons don't respond to being set to transparent.

I forgot to mention to switch to "customize mode" when customizing.  Then you can make it transparent.  See attachment.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,548 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MegaHertz

Easiest solution? Use the System path control. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 6 of 10
(2,506 Views)

I am not a fan of the NXG style controls.

Another poor work-around would be to drop something over top of it...

Frozen_0-1585148283898.png

(colored for visibility)

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,499 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

I am not a fan of the NXG style controls.

Another poor work-around would be to drop something over top of it...

Frozen_0-1585148283898.png

(colored for visibility)

I believe that (most of) the NXG controls are a step up from the (awful) silver controls.  I'm guessing they exist mostly so you can make consistent GUI across both NXG and Classic.

What would you use that path/not path button for, anyway?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,490 Views)

oops duplicate.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,487 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

Easiest solution? Use the System path control. 🙂

While it doesn't answer the original question (seriously, how is there not a property setting to just hide those buttons?), I think this is the best solution to my issue.

The System path looks exactly like the NXG one (at least in Windows 10), but without those pesky buttons AND with a browse button that actually looks like a browse button.

Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,476 Views)