LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to hide an array in the block diagram

Hello all,

I'm working on a LV VI that will send out a voltage from a laptop to a circuit (with an op amp), amplify the voltage, then send it back into the laptop. There is a numeric control which the user can input values into to control the voltage leaving the laptop. I need to send out an unknown voltage at the same time which the user will not know the value of. For instance, say I were to have a control that I could type "1" into, this would generate an unknown voltage of 0.2V, and this then adds to whatever voltage the user sets the VI numeric control to. So, my challenge is how to create a table or array of values that can be hidden in the block diagram from the user? I've attached my attempt at creating a method to do this, I'm new to LV, so any additional suggestions as to how to approach this are welcome! Also, I know the block diagram can be password protected, but are there any other ways?

Thanks in advance,

Graeme

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,029 Views)
  • Build the VI into a standalone application and the block diagram will no longer be accessible. The user of a program has no need for the diagram, right?
  • Yes, you can also password protect the block diagram. That is a good solution.
  • You can also remove the block diagram completely, which has certain disadvantages, e.g. the VI will not be upgradeable to a newer LabVIEW version. You will also no longer be able to edit the VI, so keep a good backup of the original.
Message 2 of 7
(3,009 Views)

Graeme,

I am curious about the reason you need to hide this array. Will the VI be running in the development environment and the users know how to look at the block diagram? Why do you want to allow that?

If they can edit the program, they can always place an indicator like your Unknown Value Indicator to see what is going on.

You should also disable debugging as that removes some ways to see the data.

If you create an executable, then the users cannot see the block diagram.

L

Message 3 of 7
(3,006 Views)

Thanks for the prompt reply! I'll have to read up on building a stand-alone application, thanks for the suggestions! The users will be students, so they have no need to get into the block diagram. I'm avoiding a password at this time in case it is forgotten and unable to be found at some point.

@John thanks! My intent when I wrote this post was to have it run in the development environment, yes. Now I see I don't need this to be the case. I briefly came across creating an executable as a solution - is that turning the VI into a .exe file/stand-alone application?

From what I've read unless the LabVIEW version I'm using is Professional, I won't have the application builder, I'll have to wait until Monday to check on this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,994 Views)

Yes, creating an executable is turning the VI into .exe (on Windows)/stand-alone application.

If you are in an academic environment, you may have the application builder or may be able to get it at a discount.  Contanct your NI representative for more information.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,942 Views)

Thanks for all the help, I do indeed have professional version, and I've managed to create an application!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,880 Views)

Hi gBlaskov,

Glad to hear you were able to successfully create an executable. Since you are getting started with the Application Builder, I wanted to provide you with our Distributing Applications with the LabVIEW Application Builder white paper. This is a very comprehensive resource that may help with your future endeavors. I hope it helps. 

Sam Burhans
Senior Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,842 Views)