LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the display of the screen of the spectrum analyzer?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I'd love to know how you can present what I see in the spectrum analyzer via LabVIEW. I have written a software that sends commands (scpi) to the device and defines certain parameters via VISA blocks. 

Thanks,

Matan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,086 Views)

Suppose I asked you exactly that question -- would you have a clue what I was talking about?  There are NO details, so about the only help that seems relevant is "Spend the time to become a competent LabVIEW Developer".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,067 Views)

I want to display the screen of my spectrum. For example I have a number of frequencies I want to see them and the noise floor in order to make measurements using LabView.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,043 Views)

Hi Matanlaza,

so you have a spectrum analyzer (aka "an external measurement device") and you want to read the measurement results from that device into your LabVIEW program running on your computer?

Then you need to connect the device with your computer, read the device manual, use a device driver, then send the needed commands to your device and reads it's answers to get the measurement results.

Which device are you using? Do you have any device drivers? Did you read the manual of that device?

For example I have a number of frequencies I want to see them and the noise floor in order to make measurements using LabView.

Do you want to know the "number" of your frequencies (aka ArraySize)?

Or do you write about something usually known as "FFT plot" aka "spectrum"?

I have to repeat Bob's suggestion: When you want help you need to provide a lot more details on your problem…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 15
(3,032 Views)

Thank you for the answer.
As I mentioned before, I wrote a program that sends scpi commands and reads data from the spectrum, for example: setting a central frequency, span,selecting first marker selection, pick search.
I will try to describe my problem in more depth: Suppose I receive 4 different frequencies at different intensities, I get an image on my spectrum with the four frequencies and then the actions I want I just perform on the spectrum itself.

I want to present these four frequencies and measure their power, distance between them, etc.
The goal is, as it sounds, to display the spectrum screen display via labview graph and then send commands to perform the measurements you want.
Is there such an option?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,027 Views)

Hi Matanlaza,

The goal is, as it sounds, to display the spectrum screen display via labview graph and then send commands to perform the measurements you want.
Is there such an option?

Surely there is "an option", just 3 simple steps:

1. write down your requirement.

2. Create an algorithm to fulfill these requirements (on paper!)

3. Implement that algorithm using LabVIEW.

I want to present these four frequencies and measure their power, distance between them, etc.

- "distance" between frequencies is just a subtract operation…

- for "power" you need more information than just the "frequency"

As said before: requirements, algorithm, program…

Is there any specific problem we can help you with?

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,023 Views)

Let's leave my final goal for a moment and concentrate on the main problem, which is the presentation of frequencies that appear to me on the spectrum.
The first step is to produce a graph that shows me the frequencies that appear on the spectrum without booting four markers to return values of frequencies and intensities. Do you have a way to guide me?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,017 Views)

Hi Matanlaza,

The first step is to produce a graph that shows me the frequencies that appear on the spectrum

Read the data from your analyzer and put them in a waveform graph (or XY graph, depends on the format of the analyzer data).

You still don't provide information on that spectrum analyzer nor do you attach any example VIs to explain your problem!

without booting four markers to return values of frequencies and intensities.

Why do you need any markers when you already read those frquencies/intensities from your spectrum analyzer???

Please provide more information on your problem. An example VI of yours would make sense, too.

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,013 Views)

What spectrum analyser? Have you downloaded any instrument drivers for it? 

Most spectrum analysers that have LabVIEW drivers come with sample code that show you how to to do exactly what you are trying to do.

About six months ago my company had to rent a spectrum analyser for a certain customer required test. I had never used that analyser before and I have never programmed one in LabVIEW before. After a couple days looking at the sample code supplied I made a quick and dirty program to display the sweep in LabVIEW and save the sweep data for our reports.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,989 Views)

I guess what everyone is trying to say, is, "There are more ways to do this than there are spectrum analyzer vendors", so you might want to get specific about that before you can get any more specific advice.  I know that, at times, I am guilty of the same thing; that is, what I think is relevant information isn't what everyone else thinks, so it takes a while to wring the right information from my brain.

Let us know the make and model and we can begin to help.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,979 Views)