From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate a string with a known length with a particular character.

Solved!
Go to solution

@aeastet wrote:

I think he was giving you a hard time because you posted it using LabVIEW 2021. Not that what you did was not available before that. 😁

No, I assumed that it must be a new feature. Whenever I try to do a concatenating tunnel with a simple string, the wire breaks. Obviously, I am doing something wrong....

altenbach_0-1642608599050.png

(I use the concatenating tunnels for arrays all the time and am aware of that.)

Message 11 of 18
(767 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@aeastet wrote:

I think he was giving you a hard time because you posted it using LabVIEW 2021. Not that what you did was not available before that. 😁

No, I assumed that it must be a new feature. Whenever I try to do a concatenating tunnel with a simple string, the wire breaks. Obviously, I am doing something wrong....

I could never get the hang of the concatenating tunnel for strings either. Seems to be hit-n-miss for me. This particular case does not work in LV2020 for me either.

---------------------------------------------
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD)
There are two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(752 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

@aeastet wrote:

I could never get the hang of the concatenating tunnel for strings either. Seems to be hit-n-miss for me. This particular case does not work in LV2020 for me either.

For me it works with LV2021, but not LV2020 or earlier.  Interestingly it's not mentioned in the What's New documentation for LV2021.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(746 Views)

@Frozen wrote:

@altenbach wrote:

@aeastet wrote:

You are right this does not work in LabVIEW 2020 sp1. 

Interesting as I just skimmed the LabVIEW 2021 release notes, bugs fixes, and new features, but I see no reference to this being fixed or feature changed.

Some developer must have just snuck this in?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(744 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author msabah38

While we are finding (silly) alternatives, here's another one: 😄

altenbach_0-1642614947936.png

(seems to operate mostly in-place)

Message 15 of 18
(730 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:
Some developer must have just snuck this in?

... and its a great new feature. Very intuitive. I cannot count how many times I tried to concatenate strings using a concatenating tunnel in the past, then just getting slapped with a broken wire instead. 😄

Message 16 of 18
(729 Views)

@kartiknattar wrote:

Are you trying to replace the strings or you want to display the string as password??

If you want to display the string (control/indicator) as password you can try below method by just right click.

password display.png

How to do it programmitically, also instead of * character if I want to use # character how to do that.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(695 Views)

@msabah38 wrote:
How to do it programmitically, also instead of * character if I want to use # character how to do that.

You can make your own workaround. ("Key down?" filtering event, store actually entered key and display #, etc.)

(Not sure why you would want to have nonstandard behavior. Just to confuse the user?)

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(690 Views)