LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find RPM of the MOTOR

Hello,

I need to find the RPM of the AC motor. Does any one know how to write labview program for that. Thank u

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,684 Views)

LabVIEW alone can not do this. You will need to buy a sensor that will allow you to measure the rotation. An encoder would be the easiest way to do this measurement. If you order a quadrature encoder and you buy a DAQ card that has quadrature inputs it will be very easy to do. Do you have any hardware?

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,672 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I am planning to use tachometer or hall effect sensors . I am using compactRIO and c series modules. Do you have any example programs. Thank u

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,665 Views)

Hi,

Do you currently have any of the C-Series modules? If the sensors output digital pulses, you should be able to track speed by reading these pulses with a DAQ module, as Tim suggested. If you are using a C-Series motion controller to control the motor, you may also have Digital I/O lines that could be used to read pulses from the sensor.

Please fill us in on your hardware so we might be able to make some more specific suggestions.

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,640 Views)

Thank you very much for ur reply sir. I am using NI 9234 accelerometer module and cRIO . I am not planning to use DAQ. I am using cRIO . Any suggestion ?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,627 Views)

Hi,

The answer here will depend on the sensor that you are using to monitor the rotations. If the sensor has an analog output, it may be possible to read from your current NI 9234, but this may not be ideal. The signal cannot exceed +/-5 V and synchronizing acquisition with other device may be require more detail. Using a quadrature encoder and reading the pulses with a Digital or Counter Module would very likely be a preferred solution. You may want to take a look at the Quadrature Encoder Measurements: How-To Guide document as well. 

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,606 Views)

Here is a quick and dirty idea on how to use a IEPE input for a refective optical sensor CNY70

http://www.vishay.com/docs/83751/cny70.pdf

rpmsensor 02.png

But since the LED might need more current  than the 2mA another try with an external powersupply (here as a currentsource, for a 5V supply add (5-1.6)/20mA ~ 150 Ohm in series)

rpmsensor.png

This is not tested!  But if you have a free input on the 9234 and a optical sensor is possible (Hall Sensors are more robust) maybe worth a try 😉

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 7 of 7
(5,591 Views)