From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do this in Labview ( pushing a button)

Can I write a labview code for pushing a button let's say for every 30 second , then some how ( using a circuit board I'm assuming?) make our equipment button to be pushed. lets say we want the up button be pushed exactly every 30 second. so we connect the button and we run our labview so it will be pushed every 30 second? any idea how?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,346 Views)

Depending on how your buttons work, I am picturing a simple DIO board that can control some FETs or relays that act in parallel with your actual buttons.  Then you just toggle your digital line to simulate pressing of your button.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,315 Views)

It's friday , so here is a weekend hack to push a button 😄

Needed items:

• A PC with LabVIEW and sound output
  • Daddys old stereo amplifier , guess what? Yes, hock up the stereo to your PC soundcard 🙂
  • Now find a electromechanical 'DING DONG' Doorbell and use the solenoid actor to pusch the button. (The ones I know use ~12VAC). Connect it instead of a speaker.
  •  

No write your LabVIEW software to send out a 50Hz or 60Hz tone to the solenoid in the periode you like .....

Have nice weekend

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 3 of 15
(4,252 Views)

Without LabVIEW involved:

use a USB to RC-Servo board

and used the provided software  and up to 6 RC-Servos to do it.

Next step would be to control it via LabVIEW 😄

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,249 Views)

@CanucksGirl wrote:

Can I write a labview code for pushing a button let's say for every 30 second , then some how ( using a circuit board I'm assuming?) make our equipment button to be pushed. lets say we want the up button be pushed exactly every 30 second. so we connect the button and we run our labview so it will be pushed every 30 second? any idea how?

No, you can't do that with LabVIEW.  LabVIEW is a programming language.  You use it to make a computer compute things in an exact way.  "Pushing Buttons" requires a physical force to be applied.  LabVIEW may be used to automate hardware that has the desired physical effect.  Now, what would you like to learn over the weekend?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,236 Views)

Sorry if my question sounds confusing and thank you so much for all your responses so far

to clarify. This is our exercise machine console

We wanted to reprogram it but scifit bike company doesn't share the schematic of the circuit board . So we are trying to find a way to increase or decrease resistance ( so the up or down button be pushed ) at certain T period . That's why we thought maybe we write a lab view code then somehow make it run on our program?!? Any idea how ?!!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,227 Views)

@CanucksGirl wrote:

Sorry if my question sounds confusing and thank you so much for all your responses so far

to clarify. This is our exercise machine console

We wanted to reprogram it but scifit bike company doesn't share the schematic of the circuit board . So we are trying to find a way to increase or decrease resistance ( so the up or down button be pushed ) at certain T period . That's why we thought maybe we write a lab view code then somehow make it run on our program?!? Any idea how ?!!

What you need for the first step, LabVIEW has nothing to do with it. You want to programmatically-physically push the up and down arrows on this device, yep? I guess this device does not provide any communication interface or digital/analog input, so you need to go in a "brute force way".

You have two main options, first is non-destructive, the second is:

1. Do a physical button push with a solenoid actuator, pneumatic actuator, or even a robot arm. The "thing" what will push the button physically, will needed to be interfaced with LabVIEW using an available method, depending on what kind of hardware you have.
  2. You need to open up the that plastic box shown in your photo, and figure out how the wiring is done toward the button. If you are lucky, there are simply two wires going to the button, and you can test its functionality by simply connecting/disconnecting them. If you see that this simply works, you only need a programmable relay switch to do the action. All depends on your budget or the available hardware what you already have. Whatever relay switch you use, you need to connect it to your PC in order to program it with LabVIEW (timing switch ON/OFF, etc.). NI offers such hardware, but there are other cheaper alternatives too. Like this, with USB interface and it has two switch relays: http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/products/usb-actuators/yocto-relay (you need to check the available programming libraries before you buy some like these, even if there is no dedicated LabVIEW driver, you can work happy with a simple command line option too).
Message 7 of 15
(4,218 Views)

Thank you very much for your responses again. I opened the panel. Here it is... 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,198 Views)

Is this a joke? Smiley Very Happy

How do you expect that by only looking at a photo I can help with the wiring? I even cannot see where those front side buttons were connected. Sorry, but you need to seek an IRL help...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,191 Views)

not a joke! Wow..Sorry I posted..Deleting pics..

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,186 Views)