From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to detect RS232 which is connected to tachometer?

How to detect RS232 which is connected to tachometer on a computer?

Basically, the RS232 connected to a tachometer by a telephone line cord.

One end of the telephone line (phone) cord is being soldered to a SubD Female 9-pin and the other end of the telephone line cord (RJ 9). And it will then be connected to the RS232 which has been installed onto the Tachometer - Totalizer (Frequency Meter Chronometer).

My problem now is that I cannot detect the RS232 on my computer and LabView 8.2.

Any kind soul knows how to?

Thanks. (((((((:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,493 Views)
Detecting a serial port has nothing to do with a cable going to an instrument. You need to have installed NI-VISA before you can detect a port. Are you using a built-in port or a USB-RS232 converter?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,487 Views)

NI-VISA has been installed but I can't find it.

It's not an USB-RS232 converter. It's connect through a telephone line cable with a DSub 9-pin which will then be connected to the computer.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,475 Views)
You aren't being very clear. The only thing that LabVIEW will detect is the computer's com port. In order to detect an instrument, you have to write special code. So, exactly what is your problem - the com port is not listed in the VISA Resource Name pull-down or you don't know how to detect an instrument.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,472 Views)

the com port is not listed in the VISA Resource Name pull-down.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,467 Views)

Does the com port show up in Windows Device Manager?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,457 Views)

Is the COM port being used by another program?  As Ravens said, is it even listed in the device manager?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,453 Views)