LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create own Labview driver?

Hi

I would like to ask:

Is it possible to create my own labview driver of a starter kit F283335 Delfino (Texas Instruments)? I read that it is possible with VISA-NI but is it necessary to install and use Instrument Driver Project Wizard (Tools»Instrumentation»Create Instrument Driver Project). Do I have another possibility to create directly a labview driver using the VI of VISA-NI? I have connected F283335 via USB cable and I can view it in MAX-NI as asrl7::instr. 

Best regards 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,986 Views)
No, you don't have to use the project wizard. That is mostly used when your instrument one of the common types such as dmm, power supply, scope, etc. There is a generic type and it can help organize your code in a standard way. So, if you don't want to use it, you are free to create VIs/subVIs as you please. You even have the option to use the Instrument I/O Assistant and not create a driver st all.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,975 Views)

Than you.

Than I have to use directrly VISA-NI or not. How I can all input/output ports of my device using VISA-NI. Is there any tutorial where I can see the basic principle of work? Is it necessary to recognize the device with MAX NI? 

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,938 Views)
Yes, you have to use NI-VISA and yes, the com port has to be listed in MAX. You've already got that part done.

Controlling anything on the device is dependent on the resident firmware. I am not at all familiar with this device. Is the firmware something you need to write or is already present. If already present, doesn't the device manual explain the serial protocol?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,927 Views)

This is an evaluation starter kit with digital and analogue inputs/outputs, DAC, ADC, etc. I would like to see all my pins as I see them when I am using NI FPGA boards. Is it possible to see them and to read the information of the inputs/outputs using VISA-NI? I will check the serial protocol. It is a texas instruments device microcontroler that can be programmed with own software, named Code Composer. All registers and inputs/outputs are accessible and visible using Code Composer but I am not sure if I can access and see them, using VISA-Ni. My task is to make a user oriented application on high level for control the device microcontroler, programmed on low level with Code Composer. I think that using labview it will be easier and faster. The other solution is to create it using matlab or C++. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,918 Views)
You won't be able to use it the same way as an NI FPGA card. NI-VISA just gives you an RS-232 connection. As I already said, what you can or cannot do over the serial port is dependent on your low level code. Neither matlab or c++ will work any differently.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,911 Views)