From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to control 3 phase motor with labview

Working on a project where I want to control a 3 phase motor using labview. Looking for coding if someone already has done it before or can figure it out. New to labview and would really appreciate the help.  I already have a DAQ and the motor.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,388 Views)

You really need to provide more infromation.

What kind of control are you trying to do? Turn it on and off once per day? Change the speed 10 times per second?

The DAQ device cannot drive the motor directly.  What kind of motor controller do you have?  What is the motor power? What is your supply voltage?

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,386 Views)

please post the motor part number so we have some idea the size, etc.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,385 Views)

The motor is a 3-Phase Wagner Leland Motor.  The specs of the motor include:  voltage of 220Volts, F.L. current at 1.6 amps, horse power of 1/3, and RPM of 1725.  I dont have access to the motor right this sec or I would have part number.  I have attached a pic of what I have to work with. I have a frequency driver and the motor. The source of the driver is 3-phase with 200-300 Volts at 3.2 amps and a frequency of 50-60Hz.  The output of the driver is 3-phase with 200-300 Volts at 2.5 amps and a frequency of 1-120 Hz.  The driver also has an output source of ½ horse power.  I would like to at least start and stop the motor with labview and if possible speed up and slow down.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,382 Views)

The frequency driver being used is a Fuji frequency driver by the Fuji Electric company. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,379 Views)

OK.  Now we have something to work with.

A few more questions. What kind of input does the Fuji driver require to change the frequency?  Can the Fuji driver start and stop the motor or only vary the speed?

From the image you posted I suspect that this is a school lab.  No industrial or commercial operation would allow such a configuration for safety reasons.  Schools do not seem to care until someone gets hurt and sues.  BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,368 Views)

Haha, yes this is a project and not for industrial use! 😉 I have attached another picture that I dont know how much will help or if its clear enough to see.  But its a basic wire schematic of what I have. At the upper left hand are the inputs for the frequency driver. I will get back with u on if the driver can start and stop or just vary the speeds. Like I said I dont have access to the project right now, only going by what I have on paper. I will email someone who should have that info and get back asap.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,366 Views)

Here is the diagram for the driver and motor. Also the driver can start, stop, forward, and reverse. Disreguard the PLC part of the diagram .

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,356 Views)

Would also at some point control this with another computer through labview with like a client/server if posible.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,354 Views)

The schematic diagram is a bit too small for me to read the details but I get the general idea.

Your computer, LabVIEW, and the DAQ device can probably perform most of the functions of the PLC in that diagram, although some of the robustness and safety features built into PLCs will not be available.

Next, write down the performance requirements for your system.  Not so much the motor as the control functions, what users can do through the software, what information will be displayed on the screen or saved to files,....  After you have done that,  you can determine what the requirements for each sub-system are.  For example defining a speed range and the motor controller allow you to determine from the specifications or by calculations what commands or voltages need to be sent from the computer/DAQ to the motor controller.  If those match the capabilities of the DAQ, then proceed.  If not, you may need a different DAQ or an amplifier. After verifying that all the "pieces" are compatible, you can begin to design the software.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,349 Views)