LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to compare LabVIEW executable file?

I have a labview executable file that I build 2 years ago, and with the same source code, I build a new executable file. Does anybody know how to compare the 2 executables?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,612 Views)

I'm not really sure what you mean. Do you want to see if they are byte-for-byte the same or if the functionality is the same?

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,609 Views)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I want to make sure that the functionality is the same.

I tried to compare the two with windiff or winmerge program. I expected them to be the same, but they're not. The difference maybe the timestamp of the executable file and some other header/properties information on the file, but i don't know that for sure.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,601 Views)

Well if you built from the same source the functionality should be the same. But if you build the same source with different versions of LabVIEW then you never know. Maybe the new version exposes a hidden bug in your code or fixes one that you depended on.

There is no way to do what you want by examining the bytes in the exe. You have to just do testing. You could either do this manually or automate it using the Unit Test Framework. There is also VI Tester by JKI.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,591 Views)

this probably does not apply to your situation...but there is a compare tool in the development package:

Select Tools»Compare»Compare VIs to display the Compare VIs dialog box.

just do a search on "Comparing Two VIs in LabVIEW"....

Message 5 of 5
(2,567 Views)