From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to clean up the list of recent files in the Getting Started Window?

The pinned/not pinned distinction for projects appearing in the getting stared window (GSW) is a bit moot if like me you are working on only a few projects.

What I find particularly distracting is projects popping up in this list if, say, I check out some examples, or temporarily load a project from an alternate location, etc.

I want to remove those from the list right away, but as simple as the request sounds, I could not figure out how to do that elegantly.

Pinning/Unpinning doesn't work, there is no "Clear recent file/project list" in the corresponding LV menus and the only way I can think of doing that is by editing the ini file.

Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 19
(7,918 Views)

Nope, you missed nothing!

Of course, you could easilly automate the process with LabVIEW by searching for the relevant tokens and selectively deleting them.  You could even pin the vi to make the ini edits right to the GSWSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 19
(7,914 Views)

This has been one of those majorly annoying things I have screamed about for a long time.  And when they created the "new" GSW with the pinned projects and recent files, I was so hoping they would just add a simple right-click menu to remove an item from the list.  But no.  It didn't happen.

Here are a couple of Idea Exchange entries I found with a really quick search:

Exclude Examples from RECENT FILES and RECENT PROJECTS

Menu selections to clear history of recent files and/or projects (wow, only 3 kudos so far!)

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 3 of 19
(7,904 Views)

@crossrulz: interesting that I did not find those threads when looking for GSW threads... Kudoed and crosslinked.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(7,893 Views)

Oh Fine

CRH.png

Supplied as is modifiy as desired don't blame me for messing with your ini

Assumptions: you have not changed the default directory <LabVIEW>

Message 5 of 19
(7,888 Views)

I'd replace the bottom loop by some dynamic event registration of Mouse Down and Mouse Move Events to track usage of the scrollbars in the main loop, plus a "Panel Close?" case to quit nicely and replace "recient" by recent" but otherwise, that'll do the job.

Readers, please go an Kudo the suggestions linked to by crossrulz

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(7,877 Views)

When programmatically reading/writing tokens in the LabVIEW INI file, use these VIs:

resource\dialog\lvconfig.llb

They're platform-independent, and they don't require you to wire in the path to the LabVIEW INI file. I find these VIs so useful, I talked about them in my Hidden Gems in vi.lib presentation, even though they don't live in vi.lib. 😉

Message 7 of 19
(7,866 Views)

The point being, it takes 15 minutes to roll your own.  Since it wasn't a billable project the demo POC is all I cared to take time off to do.  But, it comes up often enough that the demo was warented.  I'm sure VIA would puke all over some of it (like spelling)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(7,851 Views)

The VI Analyzer does check spelling? Whaddya know?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(7,838 Views)

@X. wrote:

The VI Analyzer does check spelling? Whaddya know?

yes, and ewe can add two you're own VIA dictionary [sic]

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(7,810 Views)