LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change back a labview file version

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a Labview 2018 SP1 and the only labview version I use until I install a labview 2019 and run another file , then I uninstall Labview 2019. Then when I want to open a 2018 labview file from before, it says my version is wrong, the file is 2019 version. how can I convert it back to 2018?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(975 Views)

Hi pulse,

use the Version Conversion board to ask for downconversion!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(951 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author PULSE.Wannabe

@PULSE.Wannabe wrote:

I have a Labview 2018 SP1 and the only labview version I use until I install a labview 2019 and run another file , then I uninstall Labview 2019. Then when I want to open a 2018 labview file from before, it says my version is wrong, the file is 2019 version. how can I convert it back to 2018?

At the time you had both LabVIEW 2019 and 2018 on your computer, any file (of whatever version 2018 or 2019) you open with LabVIEW 2019 and save will have its version changed to 2019, and cannot be opened (any more) in 2018.  If you did this "accidentally" and want to "fix it" before deleting LabVIEW 2019, you can open it in 2019 and then choose "Save for Previous Version", choose LabVIEW 2018, and save it.

I'm also a little worried when you say "I uninstall LabVIEW 2019" (note the correct spelling of LabVIEW).  Installing (and especially unininstalling) LabVIEW can be challenging.  Unless you are very short of disk space, I would have advised you to leave LabVIEW 2019 installed, just delete the shortcut icon from your Desktop so you don't "accidentally" run it and save LabVIEW 2018 code in the "wrong version".

An even better idea, particularly if you are doing serious program development, is to use some form of Version Control System.  For example, just before you open your program in a newer version of LabVIEW, Commit it, and tag it as "My Code just before migrating to LabVIEW 20xx".  Now you can open in the new version of LabVIEW, make some changes to incorporate new featujres or whatever, and Commit with a note "First Commit with LabVIEW 20xx+1", or, if you're not sure and just want to try out a newer version, make a Branch for the new code.  Now you have Your Cake and can Eat It, Too.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(910 Views)

I see , just tried it and it works , thanks so much

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(841 Views)