From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to automatically reset Elapsed Time VI without it starting again?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to turn on an imaginary output, a heater, for 20 seconds when the conditions are true. In this case it's if the battery voltage is greater than or equal to 13.2, OR the timer is timing.

My issue is that once the battery voltage drops, and the timer elapsed time is True, I can't figure out how to reset the timer back to 0. Every time I try to programmatically do it, the timer is instantly reset and my Case statement stays True and the heater never turns off, or I get some undesired effect.

Attached is my VI. Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,244 Views)

Why does it matter?  If a tree falls in the forest... you get the idea.  Why does it matter about resetting it if you're not going to use it?  Just reset it when you need to use it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,238 Views)

Ok......you may be on to something. Or you may have at least sparked some new ideas in my head. 

My brain is not wired for this labview style of programming. I'm used to Python, where if I need to do something.....I just write it out lol. Hopefully my brain adjusts soon.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,177 Views)

Just FYI - it's like shifting gears without a clutch.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,173 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author David99999

Well, that took me way longer than it should have, but looks like I got it working. Just moved my timer outside of the case statement 😂 

Still need to clean up the code (for example, there's some redundant NOT's), but VI is attached for reference.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,163 Views)

I'll have to look at it when i get home.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,158 Views)