LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access data selected through a cascading pulldown menu?

Hi,
I'm having the hardest of times trying to get my cascading pulldown menu to do what I want. The problem being is that from the original menu selection the user is able to cascade 2 levels down so by the time he/she actually releases the mouse button the menu item that is selected is something like this:
with "object" being the top level menu selection:
object->color->blue
or
object->shape->triangle
etc..
So now the problem is that I need to be able to display on the front panel what the user selected WITHOUT making a string indicator in each case. I want to be able to have just one string indicator for each level of the pull down so one would display: shape or color and the other w
ould display the actual color??? Please there has to be an easy way of doing this! I have looked through all the menu example and I can't find anything on cascading menus, Thanks in advance,
Alex
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,151 Views)
I suppose tht you are using Get menu selection, so you have two strings, the selection and the path. once you have them, you can do what you want with them, if you want them to be shown in one string, just use concatenate string, if you want them separated, split the string...
If i misunderstood you, just say what you really want to do, or send an example (LV 5.0) to have an idea.
Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,151 Views)
Hi,
Either you misunderstood or I misunderstood your answer. After reading the LabVIEW manual it seems that the use of local variables will solve my problem. My question was basically how can I have 1 front panel display object display values that can be set in different places in the VI, so I think I can do it with local variables. I just need to put say 4 local vairables , each in a separate case statement and have them all point to one front panel indicator. Let me know if you think this is the correct way of doing it,
Alex
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,151 Views)