From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Control the Valves with LabVIEW?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Everyone,

I want to control VICI "2-Position 6-Port" switching valve and need to do labview software to control the position of the valve. 

Below is the link for Valve which I want to control:

http://www.vici.com/act/micmp.php

I have not made any vi till now for this but I know that this may work on the serial communication. Is there any examples which can help me?

I would really appriciate any help such that from which point can I start as Later on there are multiple valves which I needed to control at same time.

Regards & Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,566 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author HemangVaidya

Hi Vaidya,

at first get the user manual from the linked website and read it. It explains the commands used to control your valve controller!

Is there any examples which can help me?

Open the example finder and look for the "Basic serial read and write" example.

(You can even use MAX or a simple HyperTerm-like tool for first tests…)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,547 Views)

Thnak you for your reply. I will look into it. Also if anything else comes up as different result or anything else I will share.

Regards,

Hemang Vaidya

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,513 Views)

Hello,

I have read the manual and yes there are many commands to control it. So I tried to control the valve with "basic serial read and write vi", but unfortunately it's not working and giving the timeout error. Though I checked the valve with the hyper terminal and its working fine. So can anyone help me further, I don't understand why it is not working.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hemang 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,430 Views)

@HemangVaidya wrote:

Hello,

I have read the manual and yes there are many commands to control it. So I tried to control the valve with "basic serial read and write vi", but unfortunately it's not working and giving the timeout error. Though I checked the valve with the hyper terminal and its working fine. So can anyone help me further, I don't understand why it is not working.

Thank you.

Regards,

Hemang 

We don't understand why, either.  We might, though, if you upload your code.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,422 Views)

For this I usually recommend starting with the Simple Serial example found in the Help >> Find Examples and searching.  It is a basic example on sending some serial data, waiting and then reading the reply.  You might also want to make sure you are talking to the right port.  If you short out pins 2 and 3 on your DB-9, it will send the transmitted data back on the receive.  If data you send comes back then you know that is the right port.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,409 Views)