LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is it possible to access Hyper Terminal with activeX?

Can Hyper Terminal be controlled over LabVIEW with activeX controls?

I need to open it (got it already, not a big problem. Done over the DOS console), and after doing the job HT must be closed.
This is for a Test stand.

Its very importand that HT is closed, because I need the same COM for some other tests with LabVIEW.

The sequence is as follows:

1. Open HT
2. Do some settings with HT
3. Close HT, Re-Init the COM for LabVIEW
4. Get some Measurement with LabVIEW
5. End of test, close COM
6. Go to step 1.

Thanx for Help,
Sascha
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(6,196 Views)
Hi,
You may run into one problem when you try to access a com port from two applications,you will have to close one of it and then restart another to get the control to labview.
so make sure you do this.
cheers
vicky
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(6,179 Views)
HyperTerminal does not have an ActiveX interface. Hilgraeve (the author of HyperTerminal) has a product called HyperAccess that has an extensive ActiveX interface and pretty good documentation (300+ page manual). I use this in TestStand for a product that has a VT100 interface. For all other serial comm, I just use VISA. I think the cost of HyperAccess was under $100 per license. I can also provide some VIs if you go with this.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(6,172 Views)
My first thought would be to try and emmulate your step 2 in LabVIEW instead of trying to use HT.

It sounds like you're using HT to send some setup/initiation commands to the instrument you are then talking to in LabVIEW. If you can talk to it in LabVIEW to get the measurments, you should be able to do the setup as well.

If you can provide a few more details, we might be able to work this out for you.

Ed

Ed Dickens - Certified LabVIEW Architect - DISTek Integration, Inc. - NI Certified Alliance Partner
Using the Abort button to stop your VI is like using a tree to stop your car. It works, but there may be consequences.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(6,160 Views)
The problem is: I can't access a port in the labview and Hyperterminal at the same time.
When I run Labview, I can't connect anymore to a port in the Hyperterminal.
I think Labview blocks the ports in the pc.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(6,153 Views)
The problem is: I can't access a port in the labview and Hyperterminal at the same time.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(6,153 Views)
That's the OS doing it. Hyperterminal will also block VISA. Why do you want both open at the same time? The only reason I use HyperAccess instead of VISA is that implementing VT100 parsing would have taken too much time. VISA Reads and Writes are great otherwise. You can make a VI that displays all of the serial traffic.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(6,148 Views)
I have downloaded and installed HYPERACCESS but it doesnot provide any AciveX interface, as neither I'm able to see an AcitveX Object associated with HYPERACCESS in ActiveX objects list of ActiveX container nor found any ocx file in its installation folder or system32 folder. So can I bring the functionality of HyperAccess in my Labview Application using ActiveX control.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,859 Views)

@Liermann wrote:

Yes, Windows does not allow two applications to access the same serial port concurrently. This is not really a problem in most cases you just have to make sure to close the port in one applciation before attempting to open it in another. You do not need to shutdown LabVIEW for this, just executing VISA Close on the VISA resource you have previously opened will free the port for other applications to use.

How the other application does free the port will completely depend on the application. Hyperterminal will release it when you select the Call->Disconnect menu item or when you close the application.

However unless you want to do some rather involved communication protocol such as VT100 or maybe some of the X/Y modem protocols I think doing the communication in LabVIEW would be just as simple than trying to get Hyperterminal or some other external component linked into your setup and even VT100 and X/Y modem have been done entirely in LabVIEW in the past.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 05-12-2006 11:25 AM

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,853 Views)
HyperAccess certainly does have an ActiveX interface but it does not provide a control that you can insert into a container. You can use an Automation Open and use the HAWin32 type library. Included with HyperAccess is haw32api.exe that will install a very large but thorough manual on all of the methods you can use. In my application, I don't care about not having a control and like to keep the HyperAccess window hidden so the test operator can't screw around with sending any commands. I don't know of any terminal emulation packages that can insert into a container. You can try googling to see if one exists.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,844 Views)