LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i use Timing Loops to Opimize FPGA Code

I'm having trouble optimizing my FPGA Code so that it fits on the FPGA memory.When i compile the target FPGA code the Compilation fails due toResource overmapping (No of Occupied Slices is about 101%).

My question is how do i replace the loops with Timing Loops . No cle on how to go about determining the delay, piriority, offset. I've attached a copy of my current FPGA code. I would appreciate it if anyone would be able to help me out in optimizing the code or explain how i should go about doing it

System: Windows Xp, Intel Celeron, Labview 8.0,NIRio PCI-7811R.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,119 Views)

Havok,

Can you put the whole project up so that we don't have th broken IO nodes?  Thanks, Matt 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,093 Views)

Look at the help for FPGA. There are lots of tutorials on there that can help you optimize your code:

Using Single-Cycle Timed Loops to Optimize FPGA VIs (FPGA Module)
Pipelining to Optimize FPGA VIs (FPGA Module)

The following KB article should really help:

How Can I Optimize/Reduce FPGA Resource Usage and/or Increase Speed? 

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 3 of 10
(4,082 Views)

On Adnan's note - it looks to me like you are doing a minimal amount (read: no) processing on the FPGA and you are basically just sending and receiving values for IO (so most of the optimization suggestions in the links he provided will not be useful) - are all the FP objects necessary?  Is the R-series board even necessary (there is nothing immediately obvious to me in your current VI that suggests it is)?  Given that there is no processing going on, I am not sure a SCTL will actually have an impact on the number of slices you are consuming.

Anyway, just a couple of extra thoughts.  Cheers, Matt

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,067 Views)

I got some comments to your code.

First of all you need to think about how the flow of data in LabVIEW is. 

Your stop button will not have any impact on you code at all. 

None of you while loops will run i parallel, as most of them are just waiting for a input from the stop button. 

FirstWhileLoop.png

The stop button has no effect on the inner while loop. There is no way you can stop the loop, as the boolian input is only read once when the loop begin. 

If you do get to stop the inner loop, the reset of your while loops will  only run once as they will  only see a true from the stop button. 

And why are you having the outer while loop ? 

One thing I have learned is not to have arrays on the front panel, as that will take alot of the slices. 

Try to see if you can use DMA's to transfer largeset of data to the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,036 Views)
Woof!  Good catch, dkfire!  I was looking at optimization and missed a major issue.  That being said, that limitation can be overcome by simply changing the action on the VI Stop button to switch and using a local variable to read this in the other loops (generally a nono in standard LV but ok in FPGA).  Excellent suggestion on the FP arrays and the use of DMAs.  m
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,006 Views)

I know about the local variable in FPGA, I was just pointing out some of the errors, there are a lot more.

If you take the 3 big while loops, why are they there ? They will only run 2 times. One time until the inner while loop is stopped, and then one short time more, as the stop variable is not read at the same time as the inner while loop.

My  suggestion is to drop the 3 big while loops as they have no real purpose. That will allso save some space.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,983 Views)
dkfire,  the local variable was a suggestion for the original poster should they discover a need for the while loops, not a comment on your FPGA knowledge (which probably surpasses my limits Smiley Wink ).  However, since the user is having trouble fitting the VI onto the target, it seems to me that the FP objects are more problematic (such as the array that you pointed out) given that there is not a lot of processing being done and regardless of any other coding errors.  Do while loops take slices (i.e. does removing them reduce the size of the VI considerably)?  Matt
Message Edited by mtat76 on 06-08-2010 10:42 AM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,954 Views)

I don't know if removing a while loop will reduce the amount of slices used considerably, but it will at least reduce some wiring in the FPGA.

But the removing of while loop was more the the functionality of the code. There are no need for 2 of the while loops as they will only run max 2 times. 

But right now I'm missing some feedback from OP. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,942 Views)

If you really want to keep the code as is, I would suggest upgrading from LV FPGA 8.0 to LV 2009 SP1. In newer versions of LV you can compile for Size, which optomizes the code to save space, instead of worrying about speed. You can even try it out. (30 Day trial)

There is also a bunch of great resources for optomizing your code as well.

In there you will see information on how reducing front panel objects will greatly reduce your fpga usage. It has to create data space to communicate all of that information back to the host. For example, you have an indicator (AnalogInput1 Calibration) that has an array of 8 cells that has 32 bit numbers in it. Not only does that vi have to compile for every single possible number of that 2^32 bit number, it also has to do that 8 times. You have this same pattern several times and that will definately build up. The better option would be to send all of that data through a dma fifo and read out 9 items at a time, the first 8 items would be the LSB weight, the last item would be the offset (since they are all I32's). You would write them all into one array and put the dma fifo (target to host) in a for loop and then iterate through the for loop writing to host.

Here is more information on using DMA FIFO's in LV 8.0.

Finally, I highly recommend NI's customer education with LV FPGA. Its very useful and I teach it. You will learn these techniques for optomization and many more. Its also available for half-day classes online. Test your FPGA knowledge, if you pass the tests, then don't take the course, if you cannot pass the test, then seriously think about taking atleast the online class.

Regards,

Andrew

National Instruments
RIO Embedded Hardware PSE

CompactRIO Developers Guide
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,927 Views)