LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I install VISA Test Panel?

Solved!
Go to solution

Up to LabVIEW 2017 whenever I made in installer that included NI-VISA and/or NI-488.2 it would also install NI-MAX and the NI-VISA test panel.

Now I see that NI-MAX has to be manually selected now, but I don't see anyway to install the VISA test panel.

Why isn't NI-MAX installed with NI-VISA or NI-488.2 like it used to be?

Why isn't the VISA test panel installed with NI-MAX?

How can I install the VISA test panel?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,375 Views)

I guess that there is reverse dependency - NI MAX is installed with VISA drivers (or whatever NI drivers, almost), and not vice versa.

Check, if you could include with installer run-time VISA support, or something like this. Or, select all VISA related components (and NI Serial) in additional installers. Hopefully, it should help...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,359 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Up to LabVIEW 2017 whenever I made in installer that included NI-VISA and/or NI-488.2 it would also install NI-MAX and the NI-VISA test panel.

Now I see that NI-MAX has to be manually selected now, but I don't see anyway to install the VISA test panel.

Why isn't NI-MAX installed with NI-VISA or NI-488.2 like it used to be?

Why isn't the VISA test panel installed with NI-MAX?

How can I install the VISA test panel?

See the Help file under new features and improvements in 2016 ish

There was a largish push to streamline the installer product selection to reduce build time and "De-bloat" installers.  You can no longer anticipate that the app builder knows "Every NI product You Want" it now gives you "Every Product your app needs"- then lets you add to the list.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,348 Views)

Interesting how reducing bloat cause them to remove useful things like NI-MAX and the VISA test panel.

Both are things you need and I have come to rely on to troubleshoot instrument connectivity issues.

But they still install 58 things I don't need.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,336 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Interesting how reducing bloat cause them to remove useful things like NI-MAX and the VISA test panel.

Both are things you need and I have come to rely on to troubleshoot instrument connectivity issues.

But they still install 58 things I don't need.

You need them, for reasons your application does not.  So, now you have to either. A) manually select the bloat or B) ice skate uphill (to paraphrase Blade)   kudos to anyone who posts the youtube for the movie clip....

I'll leave it there except to say.... I often choose to bloat installers for maintenance reasons. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,322 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@RTSLVU

You need them, for reasons your application does not.  So, now you have to either. A) manually select the bloat or B) ice skate uphill (to paraphrase Blade)   kudos to anyone who posts the youtube for the movie clip....

I'll leave it there except to say.... I often choose to bloat installers for maintenance reasons. 

I am, not sure why my program "needs" things like TDM streaming, PXI Platform streaming, LV Real-Time NBFIFO, when it uses none of those things but they are included by default.

But I am about to find out if the VISA Test Panel is part of NI-VISA Configuration Support 17.0.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,285 Views)

Well it turns out the VISA Test Panel is NOT part of NI-VISA Configuration Support 17.0.

I ask again: 

How do I install VISA Test Panel?

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,269 Views)

Have you checked this knowledgebase article? It explains everything...

Sincerely, kosist90

Message 8 of 11
(4,262 Views)

@kosist90 wrote:

Sincerely, kosist90

Except the price of bananas in Bolivia today

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,214 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RTSLVU
wrote:

Sincerely, kosist90

Solution
Unfortunately, neither the LabVIEW Installer Builder nor TestStand Deployment Utility currently allow you to include this feature through those installers. The suggested workaround is to create a batch installer and install the full VISA driver on your deployment machine.

Thanks for nothing NI.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,199 Views)