LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get an XY Chart to display properly while using embedded loop

s to periodically read multiple channels of similar data? (multi-Y versus specified time) The plot just becomes a point or a single plot of all values taken at one scanning of all channels. I want multiple plots over time updated at the time of scanning.I have also stored my data in a daily text file that is tab delimited. The text files consists of a row of text column headers, a blank row and then rows of data. The data rows are mixed data types. The first column is a date/time such as Mar 1, 2002 12:01 pm. The remaining columns are numeric data. I can't seem to get my data to plot properly in an XY chart from memory and am having problems parsing the data with mixed data types in the data r
ows. The format I am using works great for viewing the history files in Excel.

When I plot the data, I either get a single point or a a series of points for a single reading of all channels or I get a line connecting all data for that single scan reading. What am I doing wrong? At this point, I don't care if I read the data from the file to plot it or if I can just get Labview to plot correctly as the data is gathered without going to the history file.

As noted in the summary question, I have embedded loops in my applicaiton. I have a while-loop that determines the scan rate and keeps the program running until it is turned off. Inside of that, I have a for-loop (in a subVI) which scans all my data channels.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,454 Views)
s to periodically read multiple channels of similar data? (multi-Y versus specified time) The plot just becomes a point or a single plot of all values taken at one scanning of all channels. I want multiple plots over time updated at the time of scanning.XY plots expect a cluster containing two 1D arrays for the X and Y
coordinates of the individual points. If you want multiple plots you can
supply an array of these clusters but you have to resupply the "x" array
for each of them.

Hope that helps,

Rudolf

Adrien wrote:
: How do I get an XY Chart to display properly while using embedded
: loops to periodically read multiple channels of similar data? (multi-Y
: versus specified time) The plot just becomes a point or a single plot
: of all values taken at one scanning of all channels. I want multiple
: plots over time updated at the time of scanning.

: I have also stored my data in a daily text file that is tab delimited.
: The text files consists of a row of text column headers, a blan
k row
: and then rows of data. The data rows are mixed data types. The first
: column is a date/time such as Mar 1, 2002 12:01 pm. The remaining
: columns are numeric data. I can't seem to get my data to plot
: properly in an XY chart from memory and am having problems parsing the
: data with mixed data types in the data rows. The format I am using
: works great for viewing the history files in Excel.

: When I plot the data, I either get a single point or a a series of
: points for a single reading of all channels or I get a line connecting
: all data for that single scan reading. What am I doing wrong? At
: this point, I don't care if I read the data from the file to plot it
: or if I can just get Labview to plot correctly as the data is gathered
: without going to the history file.

: As noted in the summary question, I have embedded loops in my
: applicaiton. I have a while-loop that determines the scan rate and
: keeps the program running until it is turned off. Inside of
that, I
: have a for-loop (in a subVI) which scans all my data channels.

: Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,454 Views)
s to periodically read multiple channels of similar data? (multi-Y versus specified time) The plot just becomes a point or a single plot of all values taken at one scanning of all channels. I want multiple plots over time updated at the time of scanning.If you want the XY graph to plot the data as it is being acquired, you might be looking for chart behavior. There is no XY chart, but there is an example on how to use an XY graph as an XY chart. Do a labview help search for "XY chart"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,454 Views)