LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I control serial port RTS & DTR on PDA module for Pocket PC?

I am using an iPAQ 2215 with LabVIEW PDA module. I would like to be able to control the serial port DTR and RTS lines to provide power to an external device (<5mA needed). Is there a way in LabVIEW PDA or is there a DLL for Pocket PC 2002 that I could use?
D. H. Litwhiler
Message 1 of 9
(8,487 Views)
Hello,

Thanks for contacting National Instruments.

With the LabVIEW PDA module, the only Serial VI's that you will have access to are the Serial Compatibility VI's. These VI's will allow you to read and write to a Serial Port and initialize the port, but they will not allow you to set the lines individually. You do have this capability on a Windows machine but it requires VISA, and you can not use VISA on the Pocket PC.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Steven B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(8,481 Views)
Actually, your response did not help but I did some experiments myself with the Pocket PC and I think I found a solution. By setting the Input Hardware Handshake and Input Alt Hardware Handshake Booleans to "True" in the Serial Port Init VI flow control cluster, the RTS and DTR lines will go "High." So far this has worked to power the external electronics I have attached to the serial port. Thanks for your efforts.
D. H. Litwhiler
Message 3 of 9
(8,482 Views)
Excellent! I'm glad you were able to get that working. I thought you wanted to be able to directly control the state of those lines, not just power them. Regardless, I'm glad you got that working and good luck with your application. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Steven B.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(8,481 Views)
Hello,

this topic is quite old, so I hope there might be some changes in LV 8.20.
Unlike Mr. Litwhiler I need to control the DTR and RTS Lines directly for communication with my device.
Is there a possibility in LV 8.20?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards
S. Reimers
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(8,039 Views)
Hello Ranseier-

LabVIEW PDA 8.2 introduced support for VISA on the PDA. You can use the VISA VI's for the PDA in the same mannor as you do on teh PC. Direct control over the lines in question is available through the VISA Property nodes.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(8,015 Views)
Hello Xaq,

thanks for your answer. I tried that but I didn't manage. I think I had a driver problem.
Anyway I found a more convenient solution to my problem.

Merry Christmas!
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(8,003 Views)
Ranseier-

The method I described above requires that you instlal VISA for your PDA. Also, please let us know what your solution was so we have a reference for future users. Thanks!

Xaq
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(7,989 Views)
Hello,

my problem was that I needed two output and one input pin which I can control/read directly from my VI.

I'm using a FT232R from FTDI Chip (A USB - UART converter) to control an electronic device. Before that I used the COM port. When I switched to USB, I installed only a virtual COM Port, so I didn't have to change my VI. Now that I switched to a PDA I tried to use the same procedure. But when I didn't work it out I looked for other solutions and I tried another driver called D2XX driver for the FT232R. With this one I can access different pins very easily via a "Call library function node".

I didn't wrote my solution in the last reply because this solution is a quite specific one and not a general one for setting RS232 signals.

Regards
Ranseier

Message Edited by Ranseier on 12-19-2006 02:55 PM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(7,983 Views)