From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I access LabVIEW shared variables from a CVI program?

I would like to have a RT CVI program write to / read from a 7830R FPGA.  Is there a way to obtain the physical addresses of global/shared variables in my FPGA VI, or maybe a pointer to them, so that my C code can access those variables directly?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,458 Views)

Dear Herod,

Thanks for the request, To program a FPGA target you must have the module Labview FPGA. So you cannot directly access the FPGA with LabWindows/CVI.

But there is a way. Firstly create with Labview a Host VI that communicate with the FPGA target and compile this VI into a dll and then call it from CVI program.

See the following link:
Can I Use a Programming Language Other Than LabVIEW with a Reconfigurable I/O Board?
LabWindows/CVI support for PXI 7831 R

Best regards,
Nick_CH

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,443 Views)
Hi Nick,
thanks.  I have tried that, but I can't find a way to compile the VI into a dll on my real-time target: the option doesn't appear when I right-click the build specification of a VI under a target.  It only works if my VI is under my host computer, but I can't just then download the dll to the target: if the VI is compiled on my host, it will assume the FPGA is on a remote target via ethernet, so if you then run the dll on the target itself, it won't be able to find the FPGA.  Any way around that?  Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,432 Views)