LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you measure period of signal from GPIB?

I have a signal that I get from the osciloscope in real time from GPIB.
I want to get RMS value of this signal for one period. The frequency of the signal changes rather fast that's why I need to know for one period. How can I get it?
Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,783 Views)
First of all, trying to do timing with GPIB will never be very accurate if you are trying to get the frequency of some measurement taken on the other end. The data must pass along the GPIB line and this is not always consistent. However, if you are wanting to just measure the time which each GPIB read and write takes, you can just use the timer function to get the time when you write a command and the time when you read back the response. Take the different and that's the time it took. Then take the inverse of this and you'll have the frequency. If there's something else you're looking for, you might want to post to the GPIB Developer Exchange, as they will have more experience. I hope this at least gets you started.
J.R. Allen
Message 2 of 5
(2,783 Views)

Hi J.R.,

You said to use timer function to measure the each GPIB read and wirte  takes.  What kind of timer function, which can measure sub-second?  I have a requirement to measure just that but has no idea on how to do it?

Qing Shan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,437 Views)
This thread is 7 years old so I doubt you'll get a reply from the original posters.  What he's talking about is something like this.
LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,419 Views)

Dear NIquist,

Yes, it works.  It is so easy to you and so valuable to me!

Thank you for picking up this old thread and teach me.

Qing

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,399 Views)