LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I plot data from a large .lvm file (Memory Full)?

Hi everyone,

I have some large .lvm files that I need to plot and process.. The files contain 8 channels (columns) and about 1,920,000 samples (rows) per channel (~8 mins of data sampled at 4kHz)... When I try to open these files I get a "Memory Full" error... Not surprising...

What are my options here? Is there anything I can do to open the files and plot the 8mins of data so I can perform offline analyses?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,724 Views)

Looks like you need at least a few hundred MB in ram, which could easily explode if your code is inefficient and creates unecessary data copies in memory.

What is the structure of the file? As a first step you might avoid dynamica data. Maybe you can read it in a more direct fashion using lower level file IO. Also avoid local variables as well as trying to graph the entire set at once. I assume none of this is needed for your offline processing.

Also start reading here....

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,714 Views)

Hi Altenbach,

I am using my notebook whch only has 2GB RAm... I might need to try the workstation PC which has 8GB..

I did read all the data using the read from text file vi and displayed it all in a strinbg indicator (reading in x number of bytes/lines at a time)... How can I no plot this text/string data?

Thanks,

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,688 Views)

jcannon wrote:

I am using my notebook whch only has 2GB RAm... I might need to try the workstation PC which has 8GB..

I did read all the data using the read from text file vi and displayed it all in a strinbg indicator (reading in x number of bytes/lines at a time)... How can I no plot this text/string data?

8GB won't really help you unless you also use LabVIEW 64bit. 2GB should be OK.

To graph it, you need to decimate it as shown in the link I gave you earlier. Most likely, your monitor has only a few thousand pixels across, so it is not worth to display more points than that. It won't look any different if done right!

Can you show us your code? Can you attach a small sample file that has the same structure, just with less data?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,668 Views)
Thanks for the reply...

So you think I should be able to read all the data and that the plot is the problem? I will try using an array indicator and see if the data is all there; and then try to decimate as you suggest..

Should I read the data as txt or spreadsheet? Will post code once I have a go..

Regards,
Jack
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,660 Views)

An array indicator also uses a lot of memory. As a first verification step, just look at the array size, for example.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,656 Views)