From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I edit a tdms file

This cannot be right.
How does the text file get created to retain the TDMS format that must be retained.
This example seems to simply dump a 2D array of data into a TDMS file.

Furthermore the  Excel TDM data plug referenced in this thread which supposedly can convert from Excel back to TDMS simply doesn't exist
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/6464

A search for Excel TDM data plug returns no results.

Where can the Excel TDM plug in can be found (note that's not the same as Not the TDM Excel plug in). NI are clearly reffering to such a plug in here, but it simply doesn't exist and I couldn't find anything about how to complete the inverse process.

1. TDMS ---> Excel  (OK)
2. Excel --> TDMS (???)
https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000000YHDKCA4&l=en-GB

The above resource goes into detail explaining how to manually modify TDMS content in Excel so it can be converted back to TDMS, but it is completelly missing any information about the final and most important step, that would have allowed to convert back to tdms.

As far as I can see no solution has been provided since 2013. Is anyone able to provide a valid solution please?

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 22
(543 Views)

I don't think the document you linked to is trying to say you can convert from Excel back to TDMS.  What is is saying is that Diadem, and the DataFinder toolkit, have plugins for loading data, indexing it, and searching.  TDMS and Excel files can both be imported and indexed and I read the document as suggesting to convert the TDMS into an Excel file (of which there are a few examples online), then edit the Excel file, then let the file importer use the modified file.

Editing a TDMS file is difficult for a few reasons.  If you are just deleting samples from channels, then NI does provide a way to do that in LabVIEW.  If you are trying to edit values, then the only solution I know if is to read from one file, and write to a new one, editing the data you want, and then delete the original file.

0 Kudos
Message 22 of 22
(517 Views)