LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Build exe for Previous Versions

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm new to LabView and still struggilng a little with all the files associated with a project, so I'm sure this is a simple question.

I'm running LabView v10 for development, but wish to create an exe that can run on a v8.5 runtime version. I've seen the threads that suggest that this is as simple as 'Save For Previous Version'... but for some reason I cannot seem to make this work. I have tried saving the vi for 8.5, then choosing to build the exe, but upon being prompted to create an associated project, I'm told there are unsaved changes - that the subvi's have been converted to version 10. I've tried declining the changes and opting to use those in memory, but this also doesn't work; the built exe then gives me a runtime error, complaining it does not have LV Runtime 10.

I've tried saving the project with 'Save for Previous Version', then building. Again, this doesn't work - even though when i open, then immediately close either the project or it's contained vi's, I'm told there are unsaved changes where it has been converted to LV10 - implying the saved files were indeed saved in LV8.5 format.

I seem to be going round in circles here. Would someone mind laying out the necessary steps to build an exe that can run on a previous runtime environment?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(10,831 Views)
Its not possible to build an exe for an earlier version.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(10,820 Views)

Dennis Knutson wrote:
Its not possible to build an exe for an earlier version.

But you can have sevral Run Time Engines installed without any problem. This may solve the problem for the OP

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(10,818 Views)

What is the stimulus for this need? Can't the target machine simply install the LabVIEW 10 runtime?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(10,809 Views)

You are right. It should be a simple question, but unfortunately it is not. There currently is no way to "build as" a previous version. You can save as, but you need that version to do the compile.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(10,800 Views)

I see; I had got the impression it was possible to build vi's for previous versions, so was trying chase down that route thinking I was just going about it wrong. Thanks to all for the very quick responses.

As for why I didn't just install the 2010 RTE, it's partly personal principle not to install additional software if it can be avoided - which i believed it could, but moreover I was also concerned that installing the 2010 runtime engine could cause issues with previous v8.5 builds. There are a number of LabView tests in constant use, developed by people who have since left the company. Should problems have arisen that interfered with the old tests it would have put the department in a dire situation, with only me as a novice LabView user to restore things.

If it's possible to install multiple runtime environments simultaneously, hopefully this shouldn't be a point of concern.

Again, thanks all.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(10,798 Views)

While you can install multiple versions of the RTE, you need to be aware of what supporting drivers your program may use.  This CAN cause problems with the existing 8.5 programs.  For example, if you need NI-VISA or DAQmx, or any other hardware driver, you may have an issue if you are using a version that does not support LV8.5.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(10,794 Views)

@Matthew:

What problems might this cause then - might the 2010 RTE require drivers that will overwrite drivers needed to work with 8.5 RTE programs?

This could be a problem; the existing programs do use quite a few hardware drivers - both the existing and new programs will need to communicate with DMMs, power analysers and oscilloscopes, which I know use NI-VISAs and may use DAQmx (not sure yet, I don't understand the programs fully yet.)

Could you clarify what I might need to do to check this out?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(10,777 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author marc1uk

To my knowledge, none of NI's device drivers can have multiple versions co-existing.  Now, that doesn't necessarily mean if you use any hardware that you will run into problems.  If the hardware is NI hardware, then they will also have specific drivers which can be in conflict, but if they are another manufacturer, it'll come down to NI-VISA probably.  If you are using any NI data acquisiton cards, then you have DAQmx installed.

As long as your program doesn't access these devices, you are OK.  You are not required to update the drivers if you don't use the hardware.  You need to look in the relase notes for each of the drivers you need to update and see if you can find a version that supports both 8.5 and LV2010.

Even if you do this, it is not a 100% guarantee that you won't have problems.  I had written an application for a customer once that used NI-RFSA.  I had a control on the front panel based on a typedef in the driver.  I updated my laptop for a new project, but later had to come back and make an update for the original project.  The typedef had changed and caused a recompile.  Nothing broke on my end.  When I sent the update, it crashed on the customer PC because of the typedef change.  I ended up getting them to upgrade the driver on their machine.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(10,770 Views)

No I do not think the Labview runtime will overwrite you current drivers. Like DAQ, and VISA drivers, That is the most common drivers. What kind of drivers do you use in your system?

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(10,760 Views)