LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Build exe for Previous Versions

Solved!
Go to solution

The killer is, you are not adding value through this whole process. You end up spending a lot of time and ending up with basically what you had before. Only on a newer version of LabVIEW. End users have a hard time understanding this. At our plant, we are starting to skip versions of LabVIEW just because of this. We are updating every 2 years now, and probably every three years in the future. The added features are not worth the pain and lost productivity the yearly updates were causing us. It was a serious problem for us. We keep versions available for support purposes on other PC's if we need them. If you go up a couple of versions, a lot of little things end up changing and cause the program not to work properly. And worst of all, you may need to shut production down to fix these problems.

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 29
(1,371 Views)

@ErnieH wrote:

The killer is, you are not adding value through this whole process. You end up spending a lot of time and ending up with basically what you had before. Only on a newer version of LabVIEW. End users have a hard time understanding this. At our plant, we are starting to skip versions of LabVIEW just because of this. We are updating every 2 years now, and probably every three years in the future. The added features are not worth the pain and lost productivity the yearly updates were causing us. It was a serious problem for us. We keep versions available for support purposes on other PC's if we need them. If you go up a couple of versions, a lot of little things end up changing and cause the program not to work properly. And worst of all, you may need to shut production down to fix these problems.

I can agree to what. If you compare Labview 8.6 with Labview 2011. You will find find no major differences. I do not say it is no differences. But the big lines are still the same. The thing that we get a "new" Labview version every year is more a marketing strategy, in order to sell more. But it is also important to plan for life length. I think you will find out that it is shocking many Labview 5 and 6I applications still running out there, with NI hardware from the same period.  The day such an system give up it can create serious problem. You will not be able to replace anything. And the person who made the system is long gone, and the same may be true for the source code.

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 29
(1,353 Views)

Hi Matthew, I am sorry that if I have brought back the topic again after few years later.

Do you have any step by step instruction on how to install multiple versions of RTE into PC?

I have newer versions (2017) installed previously. I tried to install older version (2013) but the installation summary always tell me that "cannot install NI LabView Run-Time Engine 2013 because higher version already installed". 

0 Kudos
Message 23 of 29
(1,050 Views)

@Telasdist wrote:

Hi Matthew, I am sorry that if I have brought back the topic again after few years later.

Do you have any step by step instruction on how to install multiple versions of RTE into PC?

I have newer versions (2017) installed previously. I tried to install older version (2013) but the installation summary always tell me that "cannot install NI LabView Run-Time Engine 2013 because higher version already installed". 

Could it be that 2013 is already installed, but in a slightly newer patch level? What happens if you try to tun the 2013 executable? From where did you download the 2013 run time engine?

0 Kudos
Message 24 of 29
(1,041 Views)

I just get my new PC from company.

So, I installed directly to latest version (2017).

I got RTE image disk in my old PC which is in 2013 and I try to install over here.

Is it not a proper way on doing this?

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 29
(1,037 Views)

@Telasdist wrote:

So, I installed directly to latest version (2017).

You installed LabVIEW 2017 or the 2017 RTE?  If you installed LabVIEW, it is very likely that there was a toolkit or driver etc that uses the LabVIEW 2013 RTE and therefore you have it installed.  If you look in MAX, you can get a list of the installed NI software, including the Run Time Engines.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 29
(1,031 Views)

I didn't know that the MAX able to view the software that I've installed.

I installed everything. It is long list, I am just capturing part of it. [see attached]

I have all the runtime installed in my PC.

Then, how can I create executable for previous version?

The message it popped out after I try the executable on old version of RTE:

"Unable to locate the LabView Run-Time Engine.

Application.exe requires a version 2017 (or compatible) LabVIEW Run-Time Engine."

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 29
(1,019 Views)

Telasdist wrote:

Only with a previous version of LabVIEW.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 29
(1,013 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

Telasdist wrote:

Only with a previous version of LabVIEW.

Luckily, I managed to find the old installer for LabVIEW 2013. I am now able to create the executable for older version. Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
Message 29 of 29
(998 Views)