From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High speed time difference between digital pulses

I am having trouble designing a VI to do what I need. I am trying to find the time difference between two digital pulses on two separate channels but the VI that I currently have only has a precision of more than a millisecond. I needs it to be under 0.1 ms.

Exactly what I am doing:

I have two optical sensors that give a digital pulse on two separate channels when an object passes by them. They are separated by a known distance (about 8 inches) and I am passing an object by them at a relatively high velocity (about 17 feet/sec). I need to use the time difference between them to find an exact velocity. The input is normally high and becomes low when an object interupts the field. I need the time difference between the falling edges and it needs to be within 0.1 ms.

My equipment:

M Series 6250 PCI DAQ

BNC 2120 connector block

I suspect that I need to use LabVIEW realtime but I am not familiar with it. If anyone can think of a good way to do this or even has a VI that I can take a look at then it would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,158 Views)

I've only got seconds to reply now, but you should look into examples for "two signal edge separation" measurements using one of the on-board counter/timers.  You can easily get sub-microsecond resolution!

-Kevin P.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,154 Views)
I believe that "two signal edge separation" requires that the digital edges be on the same channel. The digital edges that I have are on two separate channels.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,152 Views)
Can you hook up an external logic device such as a set reset flipflop and measure the period of that? This essentialy combines your two signals into one which has all the required information.

Lynn
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,134 Views)

Two-edge separation measures 2 different signals coming in on 2 different pins, but only 1 counter "channel" is used to perform the measurement.  The M-series allow very flexible signal routing, so you can very likely map almost any physical PFI pin to almost any functional counter usage (timebase, sample clock, gate, trigger).

-Kevin P.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,132 Views)

Thanks Kevin,

That does exactly what I need.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,127 Views)
How do I assign PFI inputs other than the defaults to the counter?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,110 Views)
You can do that (and a whole lot more) using the DAQmx property nodes.  In this case, it'd be a DAQmx Channel property node.  I've attached a screenshot.

-Kevin P.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,104 Views)
Can the "two edge seperation" measure the time difference between two ANALOG inputs?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,724 Views)