LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide the Radio Button Container

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there any way to hide the Radio button Container? Why do Radio Buttons only come with a "Modern" container? I have tried making it transparent but there is always container artifacts left over. 

The "Modern" controls and indicators with their sunken frame remind me of the 1970's when every "Modern home" had a sunken living room, in other words it looks very dated.

RBCapture.PNG

Now I think I remember why I never used Radio Buttons all these years

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,352 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RTSLVU

Use the classic radio buttons, set the background transparent and replace the controls with the button style of your choice.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 2 of 17
(3,338 Views)

Thanks, I didn't even see those in the Classic set.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,329 Views)

You can actually make Modern frames completely transparent; you have to select the "foreground" explicitly.  Easy, but only once you discover it.

You can also easily swap out the Modern frames using "Advanced>>Customize..".  Below I switched to a Silver rounded box as the frame.  Again, takes some effort to learn but then is easy.   Also show below is my "Segmented" control from Flatline Controls, which is a customized Radio button with (heavily) customized System buttons.  It's nice to have a frame of some type, as it shows the User that the controls are grouped and not independent.

Customized Radio Buttons.png

Message 4 of 17
(3,327 Views)

@drjdpowell wrote:

You can actually make Modern frames completely transparent; you have to select the "foreground" explicitly.  Easy, but only once you discover it.

Yup. 😄 (Sliver buttons in a modern radio frame here)

(same for other moderns containers (cluster, array, etc.))

Here's your VI After editing exclusively using the coloring tool. 😄 (no container swap, etc.)

RadioNoRadio.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,316 Views)

There are several flat controls in a few toolkits that I think meet this need.  JKI and Flatline are two which look super slick and have radio button functionality, while looking like other buttons.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,310 Views)

@drjdpowell wrote:

How?  No matter which part of the control I select, it will not go transparent. 

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,300 Views)

@aputman wrote:

@drjdpowell wrote:

How?  No matter which part of the control I select, it will not go transparent. 

Paint Brush; Right-click on frame; hit "F" key to switch to foreground; select Transparent.  

Message 8 of 17
(3,296 Views)

index.jpg

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,291 Views)

@drjdpowell wrote:

@aputman

Paint Brush; Right-click on frame; hit "F" key to switch to foreground; select Transparent.  

That's a new one for me and does not seem to work here.

I always use the <space bar> to alternate between "BG | FB | BG&FG" in the coloring palette.

It's even documented ...

SpacedColor.png

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,289 Views)