From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide serial number from LabVIEW startup screen.

Is there any way to hide LabVIEW 2009 serial number from startup screen?

Corporate version, but every visitor can see it. Bad.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 36
(4,725 Views)

Found a post here that might lead you in the right direction.   I've not tried this myself though. 

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=423037#M423037

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 36
(4,698 Views)

Unfortunately they discuss mainly LabVIEW Getting started window. My problem is with the splash screen (when LabVIEW loads modules, plugins, etc), that appears earlier.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 36
(4,677 Views)

If they select About LabVIEW from the help menu, it will also show the serial number.

Why do you want to hide it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 36
(4,656 Views)

This goes along the same lines as this issue.

I would recommend you submit an idea to not show the activation code on the startup and about screens. I agree it is sufficient to show these only in the license manager.

I always struck me as odd to show the number on the startup screen. It is not needed there.

In the meantime, you might want to startup LabVIEW before the visitors arrive or before you hook up the projector and start the presentation. 😉 

Message 5 of 36
(4,650 Views)

Ray.R wrote:

If they select About LabVIEW from the help menu, it will also show the serial number.

Why do you want to hide it?

IMHO, it does not belong there.

Imagine you work for aerospace company X and give a usergroup presentation. A guy from the street could write down your code, then activate his own demo version. Similarly, he could even post it on some "crackz" site or similar.

Message 6 of 36
(4,642 Views)

I agree with Altenbach, the only time I'm glad it is in the startup screen is when I'm installing a new version and forget to write down my license number, then, before it ask me I click on one of my previously installed versions, scribble the number down, close it and continue 😉 I should be able to remember it, have had it for 9 years, and when I go to write it I have the "oh, yeah, right!" moment.

I don't know of any way to "hide" it, don't think there is anything in the ini file or other "secret" location that will remove it from display, or do the ***** password display thing.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 36
(4,637 Views)

Could be worse. Could be like the old days when you could actually make up a serial number (there was a format, but it was easy to guess) and it would accept it.

Of course, I never did this, and I have no idea why I even know this. In fact, I deny knowing it. Smiley Tongue

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 36
(4,634 Views)

smercurio_fc wrote:

Of course, I never did this, and I have no idea why I even know this. In fact, I deny knowing it. Smiley Tongue

Using my infinite telepathetic (sic) powers: you are currently thinking of the number A12B34567. 😄
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 36
(4,620 Views)
The A12B34567 serial number was an internal serial number used by NI employees Smiley Very Happy. I noticed that serial number very often during Labview demonstrations. 

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 36
(4,608 Views)