LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with pressure control VI

I have a very specific task to change a VI that we use for testing products from a time controlled VI to a digital input control. I have minimal experience with labview and these requirements are mostly out of my skillset. My supervisor is looking for a VI that can,

1. Create a digital signal waveform generator that can hopefully control all the valves in one to four sub-vi(s) or DAQ assistant. 
  2. Record the pressure at 6 locations
  3. Using the analog input card count 6 individual prox sensors and compare it with the overall cycle count
  4. Stop the test at an indicated cycle count or when the difference between one of the prox sensors and the cycle count exceed 10.

My issue comes with #'s 1 and 4 as I have never done something like this before. I've done some research and looked in to state machines and DAQ assistants to help but my understanding of those two topics is not high enough for me to implement them into this VI.

If someone could help explain how state machines work or what the best way to tackle this might be that would be awesome! I took on this project to learn more about labview and I am hoping that I will find assistance here.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,595 Views)

Enduro code.PNGI forgot to upload the current VI. Sorry about that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,574 Views)

Hi JRyno,

I forgot to upload the current VI. Sorry about that.

You still didn't upload a VI. All we got is an image showing a part of your block diagram…

Did you take any beginner tutorials offered by NI?

Did you learn anything about recommended programm architectures like state machines or producer-consumer-scheme?

Apperently you didn't heard about the style guide (in the LabVIEW help!) as your block diagram doesn't follow that…

My issue comes with #'s 1 and 4 as I have never done something like this before.

So you already solved #3 (counting cycles) but you fail in comparing that count with a limit value and stop the loop as a result of that comparison?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,568 Views)

I'm working on the VI. I thought I had attached it but I wasn't paying attention sorry.

Did you learn anything about recommended programm architectures like state machines or producer-consumer-scheme?

I have worked with labview before, however, it was a fairly simple task where I had quite a bit of help from a professor and 3 classmates. This was almost 3 years ago and I understand the basics on creating the simple VI's.

Apperently you didn't heard about the style guide (in the LabVIEW help!) as your block diagram doesn't follow that…

The thing is, I didn't make this original block diagram it was written by 3 other people and the project I'm working on is going to hopefully simplify and clean up that diagram.

So you already solved #3 (counting cycles) but you fail in comparing that count with a limit value and stop the loop as a result of that comparison?

Yes, I can do the count on my own but I get lost with attempting to stop the loop if it exceeds a limit.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,541 Views)

I have used labview and understand the basics of using the program I just do not feel comfortable working on a project such as this alone. I researched state machines and have a decent understanding but not a clear enough understanding to fully implement them into this project.

I did not create this block diagram, my job is to improve upon it with the requirements I posted above.

I have not yet implemented the cycles into the new VI but I feel comfortable doing so. My issue is with the limit value and stopping the loop, yes.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,553 Views)

Hi JRyno,

I did not create this block diagram, my job is to improve upon it with the requirements I posted above.

Start by cleaning up that block diagram: Wires from left to right, less/no RubeGoldbergs (like those Select nodes with a FALSE constant wired to the upper input)…

My issue is with the limit value and stopping the loop, yes.

So you want to stop the loop
IF "the STOP button is pressed by the user" OR "the comparison of a counter with a limit gives the desired result"
?

Ever heard of boolean operations like AND or OR?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,550 Views)

Boolean operations are not something new to me just happened to slip from my mind so I will remember those in the future. Thank you for reminding me!

Start by cleaning up that block diagram: Wires from left to right, less/no RubeGoldbergs (like those Select nodes with a FALSE constant wired to the upper input)…

I am trying to create a new VI that does the same thing as this one (plus the 3 other requirements listed) but I need to replace the elapsed time control with a digital waveform control (if that is at all possible).  *Edit: This means I can start from scratch and have a clean diagram.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,547 Views)

I worked more on this yesterday and I am attempting to use a DAQ assistant to send out a digital pulse to control the actuation of a cylinder, however, I need to do this with 4 different time intervals. I am just wondering if it would be possible to have the DAQ output a pulse for a specified duration a certain amount of times and then have that same DAQ output a pulse for a different duration a certain number of times. Does anyone know if this is possible? Also before it happens today, I am replacing the VI in this thread so I don't need that to be critiqued, I am just looking for help in building a new VI that runs the same process but controlled with a digital signal instead of time controlled.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,521 Views)