LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me to select data logging system for a plant

hi,

I have to select a controller for logging data from various sensors which are listed below.

Should be an Embedded system
PT-100                                80 numbers
Thermocouple                    27 numbers
Transducers (4-20)mA      90 numbers
Modbus                              5
RS232                                5
Voltage (0 to 10)V              4

Should have remote logging capabilities and remote access to data
Should be capable of sending data over e-mail or ethernet and external hard disk drive
Should be Labview compatible

I never selected a datalogging system for requirements given above.  Can any one suggest me a controller or datalogging system which is capable of handling the above requirements.
As i have to do only small amount of control i am happy with any data logging system.

Thanks in advance

Visswanathan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,857 Views)
Hi Visswanathan,

You didn't say anything about your accuracy, speed or physical requirements, but
my first inclination would be to look at FieldPoint.  This would give you a distributed
architecture, with your A/D out near the sensors, plus some local storage to log
data before it is collected by some central PC.  It would also let you push your
control algorithms out to the field, so you wouldn't be dependent on the central
PC.

Of course your requirements may preclude FieldPoint, but it wouldn't be a bad
place to start your evaluation.

My guess is you would be looking at 4 or more FieldPoint units, depending on
how close your measurement points are to each other, wiring costs, etc.

Also take a look at NI's DSC software.  It might give you a good start on your
application.

Matt
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,850 Views)
thanks a lot for quick input Matt Smiley Happy

-Visswanathan
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,690 Views)

I would second the DSC module and Citadel recommendation, but it depends on what you want. Do you just need to stream the data to disk?? Do you want historical data trends, and for how long of a timeframe?? Does it matter if the hard drive crashes and your history data is lost?? How often do you want to save a datapoint, every minute/second, only on a value change?? Is all of the hardware in one location?? How many different devices do you need to monitor??

You could do this with plc hardware or with NI fieldpoint hardware. If you already have plc hardware in your facility, I would use that and the DSC module with an OPC server.

Message Edited by unclebump on 02-11-2008 08:01 AM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,663 Views)