From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HELP] LabWindows CVI DLL UIR Problem When Called from LabVIEW...

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an old, complex DLL written in LabWindows CVI which carries out a string intensive process on a bit of hardware. The process performed by the DLL takes several minutes to complete, so it contains a progress UIR popup box to show progress.

Problem is when I call the DLL from LabVIEW the UIR is not being displayed. The DLL runs and performs its task but there is no indication to the user that something is happening. We don’t have the time or the budget to re-code the DLL in LabVIEW.

The UIR is loaded with: “LoadPanelEx” and “InstallPopup”. When the DLL function is called from TestStand the UIR is displayed (this is how it was used in the past).

The LabVIEW calling it has a full GUI and its window behaviour is set to floating.

Is there any reason why the DLL is not displaying the progress UIR when call from LabVIEW? How can I fix it?

Thanks.

Christopher Povey

Principle Test Systems Engineer for BAE Systems.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,431 Views)

Hi Christopher,

From the Rules for Accessing .uir, Image, and Panel State Files it looks as though you are accessing the file correctly. I have had a search through some NI documentation and see that there are different compatibility with varying versions of LabWindows and CVI.

I have a few questions regarding the code itself, 

1. Do you receive any error codes?
  2. Under what conditions did this previously work?
  3. Have you recently changed any software versions you are using?

Thanks,

Amy

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,391 Views)

When you build the dll, did you include the .uir in it?

Did you test the dll with other programming language?

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,387 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChristopherPovey

Yes the UIR was built into the DLL.

I did more investigation and found that both the DLL and LabVIEW Panel were configured as Floating. I changed the DLL to always be on top and the calling LabVIEW VI to change to Default while it was running the DLL and it appeared. 🙂

Christopher Povey

Principle Test Systems Engineer for BAE Systems.
Message 4 of 4
(2,376 Views)