LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: Is Labview better than Excel?

Why do you think labview is better than excel?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,105 Views)

That's like comparing an apple to a gorilla.  One is a programming language....the other is a spreadsheet program.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 2 of 12
(3,101 Views)

I have a windows OS, not apple. Knowing I'm using windows, you'd say it's better?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,086 Views)

Better for what?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,082 Views)

Okay, so it is like comparing an orange to a gorilla..  I guess you didn't understand the phrase.

They are two different programs intended for two different purposes.  We can't say which one is better if you don't tell us what you are trying to do with it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,077 Views)

I need to collect and plot live fluid dynamics test data of high-speed application systems.  Then be able to store and review data performance characteristics.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,059 Views)

Then it sounds like LabVIEW would be better because it is intended for collecting test data and high speed data acquisition.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,054 Views)

I like apples more than gorillas.  They are tastier and don't beat me to death.

In all seriousness though, if you are asking this question I'm going to assume 2 things. 

1) You are asking specifically for data manipulation and plotting.

2) You don't actually understand what LabVIEW is.

With that in mind - I suggest going online and doing some research about LabVIEW.

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373427j.pdf would be a good place to start.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,050 Views)

This sounds important. If I were you I would use excel to make a list of people you could hire that know enough about labview and excel to handle this for you.

In all seriousness though, if you don't already have the data acquisition and analysis set up for something like this, you really need a team of trained professionals to aid you in making the right decisions to accomplish this goal.

Labview is better at collecting the data most likely because you can’t really interface excel with a mass flow meter. Excel is better at plotting test data assuming you’re dealing with data small enough that you won’t overrun the number of allowed rows or columns in excel.  Otherwise you might need matlab or something more like that. Storing and reviewing data performance characteristics sounds more like an analysis job that would require professional statistics software or I guess you could force excel to do it if you don’t mind the computation being horrendous.

Message 9 of 12
(3,037 Views)

Has anyone used Labview for collecting NVH data? We currently use Excel with a Shure SM7B Microphone but we want to explore our options. I want to learn the advantages of the Labview virtual instrumentation

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,034 Views)