From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get corresponding row index of array to plot graph

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

so I'm trying to read data from a text file, and plot them onto an XY graph.

The string text data file is built as such:

XXX;Time/Date Stamp;Data point type A;1;X

XXX;Time/Date Stamp;Data point type B;2;X

XXX;Time/Date Stamp;Data point type C;3;X

XXX;Time/Date Stamp;Data point type A;1;X

XXX;Time/Date Stamp;Data point type B;2;X

. . .

Say I want to plot only point A with the corresponding time stamp, and the data points are distinguished from each other through a number after the semicolon, in this case 1. And if I want the graph for point B I would match with 2 and so on.

How do I get the indexes of all the corresponding row that matches with 1 so that I am able to extract them along with the time stamp to plot the graph for data point A? 

I attached a snippet of the simplified version of what I have so far and it's not quite right because I'm not getting the correct plot.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,337 Views)
Solution
Accepted by nikvl

Hi nikvl,

after creating the arrays for timestamps and "data point" you also should create an array of "position".

Then feed all 3 arrays into a FOR loop containing a simple comparison with desired "position" value. Then use conditional output tunnels to create filtered arrays of timestamp and "data points"…

Example:

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,330 Views)

I had to tweak some things and add an extra for loop but it worked wonderfully. Thanks!

Unrelated, but is there a way to make the array of time stamps into seconds starting from 0? (or should I open a new thread for that?)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,282 Views)

Hi nikvl,

@nikvl wrote:

Unrelated, but is there a way to make the array of time stamps into seconds starting from 0?

Simple math:

Relative time := absolute time - start time

So just subtract start time from your timestamp array…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,281 Views)

I figured, but it skewed the display and the year became 1904. Maybe I'm not setting the start time properly since I used an index array with index 0 (when the index should be at what row the desired data point first appears) 

If possible, I'd like to display in seconds without the year like 0, 1 , 2, ....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,272 Views)
Solution
Accepted by nikvl

Hi nikvl,

set the format to relative time…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6