cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generic icon in Add/Remove Programs list

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all you helpful forum-goers!

I have a nice custom icon that I have built into my executable build specification, but when I use an installer to install my program, the icon in the Add/Remove Programs list is the generic software one (with the open box and CD).  How can I get my custom icon to be used in that list as well?  I'm using LabVIEW 8.5.1 (and wishing my company would shell out for 2010! Smiley Wink).

Thanks for your help,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(4,339 Views)

To which "ADD/Remove program" list are you referring? If it is the system one it may not be possible (easily anyway) to do it.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(4,326 Views)

Putnam,

Yes, I'm sorry I was not specific.  I was indeed referring to the Windows (XP Professional is the version I'm running) system control panel Add/Remove Programs.  There are many other icons there that are custom to the program in question, so I was hoping there was a way to do that with LabVIEW.  I understand that there might not be, and those others were created using other programming environments.

Anyone know for sure?  If there is a "hard" way to do it, what is it?

Thanks,

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(4,322 Views)

Did you supply an icon for whatever size icon that list displays (My list appears to have 16x16 icons)?  I think my programs have the proper icon.  (None are installed now, so can't check)

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 4 of 23
(4,315 Views)

Tim,

Hmm, maybe not.  In my application build settings, I have an icon file selected, and before that is an Icon Image pull-down, with the only option being 32x32, 4-bit color.  When I click on the Icon Editor button right there, I see my icon and the list on the right side titled "Select Icon to Edit" has only once choice, "32x32, 16 colors".  When I push the Insert New Icon button, I see there are choices for 16x16, 32x32, and 48x48, each of them with 2, 16, or 256 colors. 

Maybe if I add another icon with the correct dimensions and color selection, it will pick it up for the Add/Remove programs list in the installer?  Tim, you said it looks like those are 16x16, is that with 16 colors also do you think?  I can guess and test as a last resort, but I hate to rebuild my installer and reinstall my program up to 8 times, or have to create 9 versions of my application icon (although I suppose that would be the most robust course of action).  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(4,310 Views)

I used 256 colors for all my icon sizes. 

I assume you can use however many colors as you want.  If your system can't display them all, it probably displays the next closest color that it can.  (The preceding two sentences were both pure conjecture)

--
Tim Elsey
Message 6 of 23
(4,306 Views)

Thanks Tim!  Smiley Happy  I'll give adding a 16x16, 256 color icon to my icon file a try, and post back here if it doesn't work.

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(4,302 Views)

Alas!  I have added both 16x16, 16 colors and 16x16, 256 colors icons into my icon file, rebuilt my executable and then my installer, and no luck with the icon in the Add/Remove Programs list, despite it obviously being a 16x16 icon.  There are many colors involved in all the other icons in the list, so I can't believe that the 16x16, 2 colors option would be the solution.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(4,289 Views)

I reinstalled an old version of my software and can confirm that I see my custom icon.  I hate to sound like a jerk by asking the obvious, but did you install the new version after you built it?

--
Tim Elsey
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 23
(4,284 Views)

Not at all, I should have stated that explicitly in my previous post.  I did in fact reinstall each time, and saw the difference in my icon on the desktop (I had changed it slightly) afterwards, but no change in the Add/Remove Programs list.  I even uninstalled the old version first, in the thought that maybe the list just didn't refresh its icon otherwise, but I still got the generic icon after I reinstalled after that.

What icon sizes/types do you have in your icon file?

-Joe

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(4,279 Views)