LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB problems

I've been wracking my brain about this for quite some time, but I'm
having trouble with Labview locking up every now and then.

I'm working with a Scientific Atlanta 1783 receiver (early 1980's), and
I occasionally have problems with it. Most of the time, when it
generates a service request, the computer handles it fine. But other
times, the computer almost locks up. I can fix that problem by (get
this) killing off explorer, and labview continues as if there was no
problem. I know I was having a problem earlier with timing (because
this receiver is only IEEE 488 1978 partially compliant, and it's kinda
sluggish sometimes), but I've been able to fix that. If Labview is
trying to read the GPIB bus, it isn't timing out properly.

Is this a
Win95 problem or a Labview problem?

If anyone has worked with the SA 1780 reciever with Labview (and gotten
it working moderately fast), let me know.

Thanks,

Kevin Mescher
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,081 Views)
Kevin Mescher wrote:

> I've been wracking my brain about this for quite some time, but I'm
> having trouble with Labview locking up every now and then.
>
> I'm working with a Scientific Atlanta 1783 receiver (early 1980's), and
> I occasionally have problems with it. Most of the time, when it
> generates a service request, the computer handles it fine. But other
> times, the computer almost locks up. I can fix that problem by (get
> this) killing off explorer, and labview continues as if there was no
> problem. I know I was having a problem earlier with timing (because
> this receiver is only IEEE 488 1978 partially compliant, and it's kinda
> sluggish sometimes), but I've been able to fix that. If Labview is
> trying to read the GPIB bus, it isn't timing out p
roperly.
>
> Is this a Win95 problem or a Labview problem?
>
> If anyone has worked with the SA 1780 reciever with Labview (and gotten
> it working moderately fast), let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin Mescher

I have to ask what GPIB card, GPIB driver you are using. This could be
another source of the problem.
Some of the older equipment is very picky about how it is used, and the SR
was sometimes implemented
differently. I would really suspect that the problem lies with Win95 (or at
least some interaction of 95 and
the GPIB).

Killing Explorer to fix problems is not (in my opinion) all that uncommon. I
would suggest that you make sure
you have the latest driver for GPIB and also check on your video card , and
if using the printer, then the
printer driver.

Good Luck
Kevin Kent
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,081 Views)
I am having trouble with the SA 1780 receiver and I think there is probably a simple solution, but I cannot find it.

I am attempting to interact with the 1780 through IEEE 488 but when I connect it to the computer, it is not recognize as being there.  I have all the most updated drivers and have successfully connected to the SA2012 controller as well as some HP devices and therefore I don't believe it is a problem on the computer side.  Is it possible that the device is not set up in "listen mode"?  Unfortunately I do not have the manual and cannot find a copy anywhere.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Joseph
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,901 Views)
"partially compliant". Is that kind of like "slightly pregnant"? Smiley Surprised

Seriously though, it is not at all uncommon for GPIB interfaces from that era to only be compliant with the standard to the extent that the connector was the right shape! This gets into an area that most young engineers have never had to address: How to interface with an instrument that does not play well with the other children on the bus.

First thing, make sure you are NOT using the VISA or 488.2 drivers, you want the original GPIB interface routines.

Next, I mostly remember errors that were related to the speed at which the instrument was accessed. Even with LV1 running on a 1MHz Mac Plus I can remember instruments that couldn't keep up with my code. When I ran into problems like this my first experiment would be to put something like a 500msec delays between every IO function. If this miraculously made the problem go away, I played with it further to find out which of the delays I really needed and then how long the delay really had to be. I remember crashing (!!) a Hewlett-Packard spectrum analyzer because I was polling it too fast...

If delays didn't work it's possible that the device isn't interacting with the bus properly. In those situations you get to really learn how the GPIB interface works because you have to use the GPIB Misc function to essentially bit-bang the interface. The GPIB spec will tell you what the command mean, and the documentation for the instrument will tell you what a bus cycle should look like for it.

And yes, this sort of work is a major pain, and yes it was not that unusual 15-20 years ago... you did it a lot...  And that's only what it takes to get the device communicating on the bus. Once you get that working you get to find all the places where the command don't do what the documentation says they are supposed to.

Mike...

PS: Why do I suddenly have the overwhelming urge to use the word "whipper-snapper" right now? hmmmmm...

Message Edited by mikeporter on 05-18-2007 07:42 PM

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,893 Views)

Regarding the versions of the drivers, can you check the following link to make sure your device supports the driver you have installed? Devzone: GPIB Driver Versions for Microsoft Windows and DOS.

Something I would recommend when troubleshooting is to put delays after your write commands, and see if that improves the situation? maybe something simple from 20ms to 200ms.

Also, when troubleshoothing these things, NI-SPY can be very helpful. If you go to Start->Programs->National Instruments->NI-SPY

This will show what's going on behind the scenes, and if you can see that it's freezing at the same spot everytime, or maybe sending an error code back.

Something I'm worried about also is the "Partially Compliant". That could mean anything, and could  easily be the root of the problem.

Regards,

Nick D.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,859 Views)
So I now have my computer interacting with the 1780.  The trick was to open it up and change the bus address from 03H to 02H.  This may have been due to an address conflict, but I am not sure.

On to the next problem.  I am using HTBasic. 

Using the REMOTE command(or actually by sending any information to the 1780) I can change it to remote mode where "Remote D" is shown on the LED display.  I then can make one command which the 1780 will respond to.  After that one command, it will not respond to anything else.  In fact, the only way I can then get it back to local mode is  to power it off and restart.  Any suggestions?  I have acquired all 3 of the manuals and am searching them for anything useful, but no luck so far.

Since I am only issuing one command to the 1780 at a time, I do not think timing should be an issue.  I have looked at the log created from NI Spy when I issue a command and nothing sticks out.  There are no errors or timeouts, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joseph
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,810 Views)
Since you are using HT-Basic, I would suggest you re-post your question to the Instrument Control Board. This is the LabVIEW board.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,801 Views)