cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB communication problem

Solved!
Go to solution

hello,

I'm new to LabVIEW and I wanted to find some information on a instrumentation communication problem.

I'm using LabVIEW 2015 ( 64 bit) and there is a example GPIB vi from NI example finder (Simple GPIB.vi)

(also  installed NI MAX ver 19.0.0f0 & NI488.2  ver 19.0).

The instrument I'm trying to communicate with is an old HP 4142B from the late 1980s.

I seem to be able to communicate with it if I use the NI488.2 interactive programs outside of LabVIEW.

Within the Simple GPIB.vi I am able to write to the instrument but I cannot read, and I reach the timeout.

One of the notes in the VI states that in some instrumentation it may be necessary to place  GPIB initialization in the LabVIEW code.

So my question is that someone have an example which adds GPIB initialization to the VI?

or does somebody know of a reason why I might be just having trouble in general?

thank you

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,044 Views)
Solution
Accepted by crossrulz

You need to terminate your commands with and End Of Line character.  You can use Concatenate Strings and an End Of Line constant to add this termination to your command string.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,024 Views)

Worked fine...thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,982 Views)