From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Testing of the RS485 interface in LabVIEW

Hi,

I have a task to do functional testing of RS485 interface to a microcontroller CPU. Does anyone know any examples or anything that can help me understand the task, i.e. what needs to be done. Kindly do help me. Thank You. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(1,176 Views)

Is it 485 Modbus or just Serial?

Is there a manual/datasheet that comes with the CPU?

When you say functional testing, what exactly do you mean?  If I had to guess, there's a list of functions available to you and you need to write a program that mimics something.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(1,168 Views)

Use an RS-485 controller that shows up as a COM port.  Then you can just use VISA to send and receive commands and data.  We would need to know the command structure for the communication bus in order to give any real help, but you could start here: VIWeek 2020/Proper way to communicate over serial

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,167 Views)

It is RS485 Modbus

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,165 Views)

@govindsankar wrote:

It is RS485 Modbus

In that case, open up VI Package Manager and install the NI Modbus Library.  Use it to read and write all of the registers.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,146 Views)

Hi

Maybe an idea to test stability, by putting a variable resistor to send and receive to see at what voltage level the system breaks down. It is not the functional testing, but gives an idea about how long your cabling is acceptable.

But first make it work as crossrulz  said.

greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,124 Views)