LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functional Global Variable

I am trying to create a FGV to store the location of the stage. Default position [x,y,z] = [0,0,0], set new position, get current position, get last position, and offset current position to [0,0,0] but don't know how to. This is what I have so far. Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 3.08.30 PM.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,221 Views)

@BArtzon wrote:

I am trying to create a FGV to store the location of the stage. Default position [x,y,z] = [0,0,0], set new position, get current position, get last position, and offset current position to [0,0,0] but don't know how to. This is what I have so far. Screen Shot 2017-11-07 at 3.08.30 PM.png

We tend to use the terms Functional Global Variable (FGV) and Action Engine (A/E) interchangeably, but they are actually a bit different in both structure and usage.  While they are definitely close cousins, an A/E is what you are really talking about.  Check out Ben's Community Nugget 4/08/2007 Action Engines for everything you ever wanted to know about them.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 7
(3,185 Views)

Why do I get the feeling we are helping you with some kind of homework assignment building block by building block?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,181 Views)

This is to learn. I just need help. This is not for grading. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,168 Views)

@BArtzon wrote:

I am trying to create a FGV to store the location of the stage. Default position [x,y,z] = [0,0,0], set new position, get current position, get last position, and offset current position to [0,0,0] but don't know how to. This is what I have so far. 

Okay.  So do you have a question you want us to answer?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,166 Views)

what is the different between last value and current value?

Kudos and Marked as Solution == Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,157 Views)

What last value and current value are you talking about?  Your image doesn't show any sort of value.

I do see 3 problems with the picture you posted.

1.  You can't really call it a functional global variable.  A primary feature of an FGV is that it has an uninitialized shift register

2.  You don't have the "Initialize" defined as an element in your enum because the case title is shown in red.

3.  It doesn't look like you have an enum.  Your "Numeric" control seems to be an ordinary I32 numeric control

Message 7 of 7
(3,147 Views)