From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Function and Control Pallet Icons/Glyphs

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to get all of the glyphs used in all of the default functions and controls? For instance, if I wanted to use the for loop glyph would it be possible to find where that image is stored? I know where all of the built in glyphs are stored, but most of the glyphs basic NI functions and controls use are not in that same folder.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,255 Views)

@RyanLC wrote:

I know where all of the built in glyphs are stored, but most of the glyphs basic NI functions and controls use are not in that same folder.

So, you don't know where the build in glyphs are stored Smiley Wink...

Do you want a VI to get the image, or do you want to know where they are stored?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,208 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

So, you don't know where the build in glyphs are stored Smiley Wink...

I suppose you are right, I don't actually know Smiley LOL

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Do you want a VI to get the image, or do you want to know where they are stored?

If you have an answer to both then I will take both! If there were to be only one solution I would prefer it to be the folder location.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,198 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author RyanLC

They are not stored in a folder. The images are packed in a (proprietary) format. This resource file (in the resource folder) contains the .png images. This is undocumented. Getting images from it isn't that hard. I'm not sure if the package contains a name of each resource though. This might be hard coded at compile time (of LabVIEW.exe)...

The attached VI returns a Pixmap of a palette item. It's PW protected, because it contains an undocumented scripting node... That means, run at your own risk. And also that it might change in future versions... If it doesn't work or crashes, you're on your own...

EDIT: BTW, LV18...

Message 4 of 13
(3,194 Views)

I ran into this same issue, some functions (like Add, Subtract, Sign) don't return the correct palette images when calling the private method App : Palette : Get Palette Item Icon. Some primitives are stored as Windows Metadata File (*.wmf) vector images that aren't converted correctly. I wrote a post on how to export all built in function palette icons at:

Export Built In Functions:

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Export-Built-In-Function-Palette-Icon-Images/ta-p/4102957

However, to make things simple, I also exported all built in functions palette items to 256 (8-bit) color png images including both the Item Path (used by Read Palette.vi) and the item display name (used by the private method App : Palette : Get Palette Item Icon).

Built In Function Icons: 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/Example-Code/Built-In-Function-Palette-Icons-from-Item-Path/ta-p/4103084

Palette Built In Function Icons.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(2,687 Views)

The previous answers are correct about palette items but if you want to know where the glyph are stored that are available in the icon editor.  For Windows, they are in:

[Your Document Folder]\LabVIEW Data\Glyphs

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

Chief LabVIEW Architect, Testeract | Owner, Q Software Innovations, LLC (QSI)
Director, GCentral | Admin, LabVIEW Wiki | Creator, The QControl Toolkit
Certified LabVIEW Architect | LabVIEW Champion | NI Alliance Partner

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(2,654 Views)

Not all palette icons are available in the icon editor glyphs library. You can however get the palette images directly using the App : Palette : Get Palette Menu Items invoke node which returns the image (U8 array) as a Windows Metadata File (*.wmf) vector image.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,627 Views)

@rcpacini wrote:

Not all palette icons are available in the icon editor glyphs library. You can however get the palette images directly using the App : Palette : Get Palette Menu Items invoke node which returns the image (U8 array) as a Windows Metadata File (*.wmf) vector image.

I have no such method... And I think I have them all.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,621 Views)

Here's my solution, feel free to add it to your toolbox 😉

Get Palette Icon.pngGet Palette FP.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(2,612 Views)

Why not use a .NET wmf object form stream and then convert to the pixmap? The file seems redundant and undesirable.

Palette image.png.Also attached as LV16 VI.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(2,608 Views)