cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Panel cleanup does not work on real time VIs

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have noticed that when I run the front panel cleanup (LabVIEW 2019) using control+u on VIs which are under a real time target, the cleanup doesn't appear to do anything. It works fine however on VIs under "My Computer".

Is this expected behavior, or is there something I need to do to get it to work? I have grown fond of the front panel cleanup as it saves a lot of time, and would like to use it while working on real time targets.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,133 Views)

@lukepike wrote:

Hello,

I have noticed that when I run the front panel cleanup (LabVIEW 2019) using control+u on VIs which are under a real time target, the cleanup doesn't appear to do anything. It works fine however on VIs under "My Computer".

Is this expected behavior, or is there something I need to do to get it to work? I have grown fond of the front panel cleanup as it saves a lot of time, and would like to use it while working on real time targets.

One would have to be a fly on the wall of the R&D meting talking about if that SHOULD work.

But from my experience, I expect it would not work because...

Scripting has to be able to get the ref of the VI being mucked with to make the changes. There is a nice little feature for DAQmx where we can configure a Task in MAX, save it, then create a task constant on a BD and choose "create config and example".

LabVIEW will script up the code that is needed to duplicate the Task that was configured in MAX.

That does NOT work for a RT target Smiley Sad.

I understand that as being due to the fact the VI on the RT target is actually on the RT machine and not on the development PC and LV can not invoke scripting functions on a remote machine.

Spoiler

I cringe at the thought that some nefarious LV code could edit VIs on another machine .. Dogs and Cats living together...

Since the FP clean-up is another scripting enable thingie, I would not expect it to work.

You of course know that you can drag the VI to "My Computer" do what you want and drag it back ...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,095 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lukepike

Never done the cleanup of a front panel but there is the Ctrl+F quick drop shortcut which was added to the default list of QD shortcuts in 2019 and that works with the FP in RT.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
Message 3 of 4
(2,084 Views)

Thank you, that shortcut does indeed cleanup the front panel on a real time VI! A few more key strokes to activate it, but certainly better than before.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,069 Views)