LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency response of a filter

Solved!
Go to solution

I have the filter coefficients of the filter I require in my program. I need to find the frequency response of this filter. Is there any function in LabVIEW that helps me to do this?

I guess I need a function which is similar to the freqz function in matlab for this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,196 Views)

Why not search throught the LabVIEW examples for "frequency" or right click on the block diagram and select search and write "frequency"?

It all depends on which LabVIEW type you have and version. 

Message 2 of 9
(4,185 Views)

Go on your block diagram. Then on Help there's Find Examples. On it you can search for things you need. If you search for Filter, Filter Response or Frequency Response, you can find a few examples that suit your needs.

Message 3 of 9
(4,183 Views)

I went through them. 
The problem is that all those examples use the lower cut-off frequency and higher cut-off frequency as filter specifications.

I have the filter coefficients. 

Is there a way to find the frequency response of the filter whose specifications are given by its coefficients?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,174 Views)

What coefficients are you talking about ?

Message 5 of 9
(4,168 Views)

The coefficients of the polynomials of the numerator and the denominator of the transfer function of the filter. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,164 Views)

Check the example IIR Filter Design. Or the IIR Filtering and response.

Yes, the inputs the are various frequencies, ripple, and such, but if you dig into that VI you'll see that they feed those inputs to a VI which puts out the coefficients. (I.e. Butterworth filter->Butterworth coefficients).  Now, you already have your coefficients, so you just go on from there. 

Message 7 of 9
(4,141 Views)

There's an example for that too. It's called "CDEx Gain and Phase with Frequency Data". I found it by searching for "phase response".

Message 8 of 9
(4,132 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shweta_Sridhar

Thank you guys!  I found out what I wanted. But thanks for guiding me.

I'll post the answer so that others can use it Smiley Tongue

First I found out the transfer function ( from the filter coefficients) of the filter by using:

Digital Filter Design toolkit => Utilities => From TF ( DFD Build Filter from Transfer Function.vi)

The output filter got from this was wired as the input filter to:

Digital Filter Design toolkit => Filter Analysis => Freq resp ( DFD Plot Freq Response.vi)

I got the required frequency response 🙂 :).

@Sd.Kfz.10 I coudn't use the FIR filter and IIR filter where coefficients are given as inputs (in signal processing toolkit)  because I wanted the response of the filter alone. These FIR and IIR filter requires the input signal array. 

I was using this for the linear predictive coding for speech recognition. I modelled the vocal tract as a autoregressive model (all pole filter) using a the AR modelling.vi in the ADSP toolkit. I wanted to see the frequency response of the modelled filter but I only had the filter coefficients. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,123 Views)