From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash memory size in NI PCIe-7851R

Solved!
Go to solution

HI,

How can I find out the size of available on board flash memory in the PCIe-7851R device?

Thanks,

Neville

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,580 Views)

Read the manual?

The NI Spec on their site says 128kB on-board memory.

-CC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome!"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,574 Views)

Hi nwild,

The PCIe-7851R has 128 kb of memory. This is

Regards,

Josh B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,562 Views)

Thanks to CC and Josh - the information is indeed in the data sheet.

Another question:  I know this flash memory is used for storing calibration data but can it also be used for compiled VIs?  My bitfiles are much bigger than 128K.

Thanks,

Neville

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,549 Views)

Hi Neville,

For R-Series cards the bit file is stored on the host computer or embedded controller. When you run your FPGA VI the bit file information is transferred to the FPGA. So, if you have a bit file that is more than 128 Kb it will not matter because it does not use the flash memory of the R-Series Card.

Regards,

Josh b

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,540 Views)

Hi Josh,

The 7851R user manual says that the FPGA VI can be loaded from flash memory (p 1-6).

I have made a simple FPGA VI that outputs a square wave on one of the DIO pins of the 7851R.  I have made a bit file which is 1,400 kB in size.  I have downloaded this bitfile to flash using the RIO Device Setup dialog and set the RIO Device to autoload VI on powerup.

I firstly powerdown the PC which has the 7851R installed and then power it up.  As soon as I apply power to the PC the RIO device starts producing a sqaure wave, so everything is working but I don't understand how the 1,400 kB bitfile has managed to be stored in the 128 kB on-board flash memory.

Thanks,

Neville

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,529 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author nwild

Hi Neville,

I need to make a correction to my previous post. The 128 kb of memory is volatile RAM. There is actually 2 MB of nonvolatile Flash Memory that the bit files are stored on. The following Knowledge Based article describes this.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/03A50BB86120E930862572F40005ED5C?OpenDocument

That is the reason that you are able to put your 1000 kb bit file on this R series card's flash memory.

Regards,

Josh B

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 7 of 7
(2,520 Views)