LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding Perpendicularity

I have two lvdts on different planes hitting the side of a cylinder.  This cylinder is bored out on both sides, and resembles an hour glass.  I have the cylinders inner bore fitting over two ball bearing self centering collars that will bring the bore to perfect perpindicularity.  The outter side of the cylinder is being hit in two different places on its side by lvdts.  The bottom of the cylinder is being hit by 3 lvdts, 120º from eachother.  I am confused on how to find the tilt of the bottom of the cylinder and the tilt of the side of the cylinder and how to come up with the perpendicularity of the cylinder.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,111 Views)
Are your LVDTs already perpendicular to the surface which you are trying to make the cylinder perpendicular to?  If so, then it would be a matter of trigonometric equations to determine the number of degrees off you are from the perpendicular plane.  I'm just not sure how you are planning on determining the movement of the cylinder.  It might be helpful if you could post a sketch or CAD drawing of how you will have the test system set up.  From the sounds of it, I would guess that a lot of trig calculations have to be made to get a final output.
Brian Coalson

Software Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,081 Views)