From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find source of mass compile errors

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all,

I am attempting to determine the source of errors on a RT build and therefore running a mass compile to remove broken and unused VIs.  The project is quite large so the mass compile output is large.  One thing that I am struggling with is trying to determine *why* an error is thrown.  For instance, I am getting some CompileFile: error 7 which indicates that something is looking for a file that is not there.  How do I determine which file is looking for this missing file?  I have attached the mass compile output as well as a python file that I use to parse the files for errors.

On another note concerning this file - what do I do with the Bad VI/subVI output?  It almost seems as if it is ok to disregard this output.

Any help is welcome. Cheers cirrus

(ok, this i lame but you are not allowed to attach python so here is the script below)

fname = 'mass_compile_log_10202016.txt'
with open(fname) as f:
    line = f.readline().strip()
    i = 0 # Track the error number
    j = 0 # Track the line number
    # Only going to search the first 30 records
    while line and i < 30:
        s = line[0:3]
        j += 1

# Not interested in Failure to load, Search or Bad VI messages...
        if not (s == "###" or s == "Fai" or s == "Sea" or s == "(C:"):
            i+=1 # Increment the error 
            print(str(i)+ '[' + str(j) + ']. ' + line)
        line = f.readline().strip()
    f.close()
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,807 Views)

-Go through Common Mass Compile Status Messages: https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/mass_compile_errors_warnings/

-The above link expalins the error message and clear descirption of why it is throwing error.

-from the log i see you are using actor framework, are you sure the Actor framework.lvlib has been added to project properly? Because all other actors will inherit from this class, hence all other will throw error.

-Are you checking in your development environment or under Target? because i see the vis are referencing to maybe development files.

Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,760 Views)

udka - from the answers below, I think you may be convoluting mass compile with building.

@udka wrote:

-Go through Common Mass Compile Status Messages: https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361H-01/lvhowto/mass_compile_errors_warnings/

I know what the messages mean - I am looking for the source.  If you get an error that says CompileFile: error 7 - this is obviously a missing file.  But why is this file required?  That is what I am trying to locate - where the file is referenced.

@udka wrote:

-from the log i see you are using actor framework, are you sure the Actor framework.lvlib has been added to project properly? Because all other actors will inherit from this class, hence all other will throw error.

What error?  What is this in reference to?  Yes - if you use the AF, you will pull in the reference (look under dependencies if you don't specifically add it to the project).

@udka wrote:

-Are you checking in your development environment or under Target? because i see the vis are referencing to maybe development files.

Huh?  Mass compile is a development environment option.  Target usually refers to what you are running on (i.e. My Computer, RT system, etc etc) and doesn't impact the mass compile (except that some VIs such as RT specific stuff might pop up as missing - this I don't really understand).

Thanks for taking a look at this though. c 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,755 Views)
Sorry i might have overlooked at it.
-generally i use selecting vi and use find all instances to get where and all the VI used in project.
-All you are actor Vis have become badVI which means i thought there might be problem with Actor framework class.
Good luck!
Thanks
uday
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,752 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cirrusio

Thanks, udka.

I actually stumbled on the easy solution (although there is still one instance dangling out there that I can't explain).  Simply

1. create a new project
  2. add a snapshot of the folder you are trying to mass compile

If you have missing VIs in the mass compile, these will show up in the build dependencies as missing and you can find out who is dependent on them.

Regarding the bad VIs - it is unclear whether this might be due to the fact that the mass compile occurs on local and it can't find the RT LEDs VI (since it is not on the RT system).  Either way, I am trying to build again to see if I have a functioning exe on the RT system (the reason why I was performing the mass compile was a failure on the exe - not in the build but in the execution).  I have attached my most recent mass compile log for comparison to what I started off with.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,737 Views)