LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering in frequency domain

Hai. I am new to labview and signal processing. I am working on a program to reduce the noise in the signal. I converted the time domain signal to frequency domain using FFT and filtered the signal using several Butterworth band pass filters and took IFFT on individual filter outputs and recombined them by selecting the minimum values.

The problem is, the reconstructed signal has some sort of symmetric appearance and the local spikes seen in time domain signals are getting concentrated at the end of time base rather being seen at desired points on time base after processing (Pls check the attachment). I can't understand the problem. Please help me in this. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,911 Views)

Please attach your VI. Without it, we cannot see what you filter and what means "processed signal".

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,884 Views)

if my memory serves me correct (and coming from 2d FT) you make a basis transform into Frequency Domain then filter with a lowpass (to ignore the high frequency "noise") and transform back.

there are a lot of (ipython/jupyter) notebooks on fourier transform out there,

which i think might help you get a better understanding, this one looked quite good:

http://calebmadrigal.com/fourier-transform-notes/

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,856 Views)

I have attached my vi. pls check it

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,847 Views)

Thanks for the link. It's very useful to understand the basics

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,846 Views)

plz add the data your working on as well if you could.

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,840 Views)

Try using this file

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,822 Views)

so i played a little with your code and noticed several things:

* you shouldn't have 3 lowpass filters (from which you choose the minimum)

* your lowpass filters don't need a 'high-cutoff' point (it is ignored, when lowpass)

otherwise i don't konw butterworth filters, but even only one produces the same behaviour as you described.

what i did was to create a filter myself, for wich i shifted the FT and zeroed (as many as i wanted) elemetns from left and right (bc its symmetric).

you can have a look at my messup of you code, jsut plug in the .txt file and run it,

it shows you the results for different amounts of zeros

sorry cant do more

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,793 Views)

Thanks for your effort. Can you send a lower version of your code. I am using Labview v15

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,778 Views)

here you go

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,754 Views)