From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File permission error; NI-488: DMA hardware error detected

I'm running LabVIEW 8.0 on the latest supported SUSE linux. My vi saves a data file. If I save a file named "/home/bill/LabVIEW/data/file.dat," it saves okay the first time. But then if I run the program again, it gives me an error instead of just writing over file.dat (which is what I want it to do).

Error 8 occurred at Open/Create/Replace File in filename.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: File permission error.
---
NI-488: DMA hardware error detected.

Also, I don't know if this is related, but when I click on the folder icon to the right of the file path on the front panel, and navigate to the directory mentioned above, then type "file.dat," I get the message "/home/bill/LabVIEW/data/file.dat does not exist." Shouldn't this *create* the new file?

Thanks,
Bill
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(18,913 Views)
The problem goes away when I give myself read permission for the file, which means I've mostly solved the problem. I still don't understand why this happens now and didn't happen previously when I was using Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Does this mean I now have to set permissions explicitly?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(18,903 Views)

Hi Bill2002,

Generally there are two reasons that can cause Error 8 when related to file permission. Either another application is accessing the same file or the file is already open.   Make sure to check your other open applications to make sure that they close the file before your program opens it. Also, if you have manually opened the file, make sure you close it before you run your program. For example, if you are writing a set of numbers to an excel spreadsheet and you go into Excel to make sure that the numbers are where you want them, close Excel before you write more numbers to the same spreadsheet.

Was this the same application you ran on your previous version of Linux?

Regards,

Steven B.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(18,880 Views)
I know i have renewd  a topic.I have tried all this but the DMA hardware error is there.I am using windows and not linux.Any quick suggestion will be of grt help!!!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(18,193 Views)
Hi Muks,

Could you provide some more information regarding your application. What version of LabVIEW are you using? Is your VI trying to write to a file or are you performing a GPIB (NI-488) operation? A screenshot of your VI (simplified) would help as well. Thanks!

Cheers,

Jonah
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Jonah Paul
Marketing Manager, NI Software
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(18,163 Views)
Thanx problem solved and frankly i am not sure how.I guess it is something to do with ms word.I am using a spreadsheet function so maybe some temp problem.But now it is working fine
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(18,148 Views)

How could you help me in the same error above? There are no statements in the blogs. Please help

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(17,744 Views)

You should really start your own thread describing your problem in detail. One of the issues here is that there are two possible sources for the error code 8. Which one is applicable to you? What platform are you on? What version of LV? What are you trying to accomplish? What exactly triggers the error?

Please start again with your own thread and with the answers the questions I asked (as well as anything else that you think might be of value).

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(17,735 Views)
Thanks Mike, I already fixed the error. Thanks a lot.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(17,710 Views)

@jeon, how did you fix your error? i am facing the smiliar error when i am trying to save 2 excel files using MS Office Report Generation vi's. 

Now on LabVIEW 10.0 on Win7
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(15,867 Views)