LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Dialog: naming file

Hi 🙂

I'm writing to a text document and I want to name the file by the first word in the document. Can File Dialog automatically name a file by its first word?

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,380 Views)

I'm pretty sure the File Dialog has a default name input (don't exactly have LabVIEW in front of me right now).  Even still, if you are naming the file, do you really want the user to see a dialog?  Just build up the file path programatically.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,371 Views)

@msuraz27 wrote:

I'm writing to a text document and I want to name the file by the first word in the document. Can File Dialog automatically name a file by its first word? 

It can be done, but 'File Dialog' cannot do it at its own, rather you need to provide 'default name' input to the 'File Dialog' express VI.

File Dialog.png

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,342 Views)

The "direct" way to do this is to use Open/Create/Replace File (from the File I/O Palette) and wire in the path you want to use for the file name.  Note you'll probably build this path using (naturally) Build Path, with the Base Path being the folder (or device) you want to use, and the Name being a string obtained from the first word of the document you are trying to save (possibly with an extension, e.g. .txt, concatenated to it).

BS

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,323 Views)