LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FieldPoint communicates with MAX, but not with LabVIEW FieldPoint Read Data Calls

I have a program in LabVIEW that has worked fine in Windows 7 for years.  The laptop recently died and the shop had a new laptop built with Windows 7 to keep everything compatible.  The FieldPoint front end sits out in the shop and has a wireless connection to the laptop.  The laptop then has an ethernet connection to the building server.  This connection is used only after the data has been saved by the application for 24 hours.  The app then writes the 24 hour file off to the server.

The MAX software is set up to look at 8 thermocouple channels and 8 analog channels.  They are are visible in MAX and update with correct data, no problem.

The LabVIEW program has the same iak filename, but when it runs, it only sees the 8 analog channels.  The 8 thermocouple channels show 0.  I have the correct RunTimeEng loaded and the application calls the date and time, and the paths to save the files at the end of the 24 hour period.  I can't figure out why it will not read the 8 thermocouple channels, especially since the 8 analog channels and the 8 thermocouple channels read OK in MAX. I have checked the FieldPoint 'Read' calls in my LabVIEW code and they are correct.

Any help out there?

Ron Brook

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(788 Views)

More Information.  I wanted to make absolutely certain the iak file was correct so I ran MAX using Remote Desktop Connection.  This allows me to view the laptop at the shop in real time.  I made certain all channels were reading live and correctly.  I then saved the FieldPoint iak file on the laptop.  I saved it into a folder I could access on my home computer to bring it into my LabVIEW app.  I then built the application and put the executable back onto the laptop at the shop.  Still no success on the thermocouples.  How can the identical iak file work for the analog input channels module but not the thermocouples module?  It makes no sense and I'm really at my wits end.  Since NI gives ZERO support to those of us who can't afford the support license, and my company only has one of these systems, so it's economically infeasible to get it for that one system, I'm afraid it's time to tell my old firm to move on.  And I promise it won't be NI product.  I have never seen a company hang a long time valued customer (over $50,000 worth of product) out to dry.  There must be a firm out there that appreciates product loyalty, but it sure isn't NI.  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(747 Views)

As usual, I beat on this software until I get it.  For those of you that may need the help in the future, my problem was simple (aren't they all in the end?).  I had not chosen a module of channels in the configuration file inside my LabVIEW application.  Done.

Give myself Kudos.....

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(725 Views)

Give yourself the solution!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(717 Views)