LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request

This has been bugging me for several versions now.  I keep expecting the next LabVIEW version to have it, but no ... it never does.  Perhaps this is my fault for not speaking up earlier ... but I thought the idea was so obvious I didn't need to ... of well, I was wrong ...

When you drop a probe on a wire for the error cluster, why can't you right click the error cluster in the probe window and choose "Explain Error..." like in the main menu?  Why do I have to copy the error code to the clipboard, open "Explain Error...", and then paste the error code in order to see the explanation text?

WHY??????

This is so obvious.  Please just do it NI.  Please.

If you agree, please add to this post so NI will pay attention.  I can't be the only one frustrated by the lack of this feature.  I just can't be.

Walter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,372 Views)

The LabVIEW Idea Exchange is open for business... and although I agree that default probes could be smarter (How about the ability to show more then one element in an array probe???), it seems that probe enhancements were met with much resistance.

R&D patrols that forum and ideas with high kudos amount may end up in a future release!  (And you might even get credit for the change in the "What's new?" section!)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 5
(2,359 Views)

What I often miss is the "Explain Error" option in an array of error clusters...

But the idea exchange is the place for requests like this (if they aren't posted already of course):

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-an-quot-Explain-Error-quot-pop-up-menu-on-the-con...

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Add-an-quot-Explain-Error-quot-pop-up-menu-on-an-erro...

So kudo those, and it might happen some day...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,294 Views)

Two options.

1 create a custom menu shortcut to "explain error" from the tools options menu shortcuts dialog.  Kudos for showing directions with snips

2 pop out the probe from the probe watch window.. last I thought, explain error work there... haven't tried recently  .. I stopped writing bugs a while back:D

Did I only say 2? Oops

3 customize your own error probe to call that dialog ... that would be neat and a great custom probe to share.

4 stop writing code that throws errors....

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 5
(2,278 Views)

Best idea I've heard in a long time.  Put it in the FAQ!

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

@JÞB
Jeff·Þ·Bohrer wrote:
... 4 stop writing code that throws errors....

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,274 Views)